Wednesday, August 28, 2019

His Glory


I could be wading along these paths--the air is thick,
Moving against my skin as if the water is being worn by the heat.
In the library (converted from the old showers)
There's a book on hold and a room-devouring stroller
                                            --A minor boss
Before the gingers and the ants
Take me down paths between leaves swelling
Above me, deep in green, in sun.

I make a circuit, see the ponds, kumquats, columns
Wavering as if late morning evaporated at midday's sigh.

It was in the shadow of the porch,
Before the two-years-since locked doors:
A red tablecloth
Crisp, bright letters--
Commissioner Cagle's name gleaming
From the dimness.

It's his glory, I suppose.
Continuing that magician's trick
A vibrant cloth swirling
Over nothing but promises.


6 comments:

  1. I love late morning evaporating in midday's sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you see it, now you don't ... "Wavering as if late morning evaporated at midday's sigh" A wonderful foreshadowing of the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the beautiful imagery the poem has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pleasant read this is Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many wonderful images in this poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely images in this, Chrissa. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete