Sunday, August 25, 2019

She Is Kind and Unwelcoming


She was, for a second, there
Elbow on the shag counter in the band hall
While it was briefly orchestra rehearsal
Curious if I was a twin

And I remember that--
That teenage disgust with a mistake
You feel so obvious
Until the shock of rumors pass

That one conversation
Leaning into our narrative
Before she drowns
in her own

I was rude;
Sarcasm was the only power
I had and the dregs of the 80s
Were bitter beneath my tongue

Nostalgia pretends kindness
Come sit with me and share
This memory before
She knifes me, nameless


Sharing today with The Sunday Muse and Poets United. I can't believe there's just a week left in August...and although I'm hoping fall brings some relief from the broiling days and the allergies and the wheezing I'm also not sure I'm ready to close out this year. Hence, the threat of looking backwards but not finding exactly what one expects. I love the idea of the prompt image as a kind of goddess of nostalgia, pretending to paint herself in lifelike colors but always subtly changing them, welcoming you in before the things you didn't see or know at the time ambush you as she opens her eyes to hindsight. Hmmm...this might be something to file away for a later story.

Hope you're having a good/creative/present week and that all your puppies are housebroken!! :) 

-- Chrissa

22 comments:

  1. Oh, the tricky double edge of nostalgia. It's hard, writing about our less stellar moments and feelings, but the best poetry often flows from unvarnished truth. if not literal truth, then emotional truth, poetic truth, which goes deeper.

    ps--Puppy is SO cute!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is kind and unwelcoming...you wrote about her so well...especially the part about nostalgia, like you know it's all pretend kindness...sort of. reminds me of someone i know...hmmmmm...makes one think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your notes as much as the poem! And, of course, the puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember a few of those things from the 80s where I (almost) wish I could back and change what I did. But nostalgia is never the same from person to person

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nostalgia can be really good at the art of denial (and "pretend[ing] kindness", too) it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me of my poem today of memory, not always so rosy. It reads like a dream scene, a play of the psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Sarcasm was the only power / I had and the dregs of the 80s / Were bitter beneath my tongue" - great line. I really like this poem and the exploration of the ruthless double nature of nostalgia. Very insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking back is always a double-edged sword. Those teen-aged years are never what they are cracked up to be, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nostalgia pretends kindness
    Come sit with me and share
    This memory before
    She knifes me, nameless

    This is great. I so like nostalgia pretends kindness, what an interesting (and true) insight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the opening lines to those closing killer lines Chrissa! I can relate to the truths they hold! Love the notes and your sweet Arthur photo! Amazimg as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. An insightful write ... notes are great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. AS you get older you have a lot to write about but when you write about yourself make it fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'Nostalgia pretends kindness'

    What a fabulous line. I LOVE … LOVE … LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nostalgia, we want to pretty it up, but truth shows up. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  15. nostalgia can be messy, and so are the 80's.
    i like how the poem is written, really an awesome piece. had to read it again to find hidden layers in the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nostalgia pretends kindness - that's a great line! Wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah well, you seem to have put it in perspective all the same. (I try to look back forgivingly on my inept teenage self.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness this is good!💖💖 The closing lines are filled with truth and leave much to contemplate 😊

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nostalgia pretends kindness
    Come sit with me and share
    This memory before
    She knifes me, nameless

    It gives a feeling of urgency and concern or perhaps just a teasing with a tinge of humor. It is a clever way of doing it. Beautiful write Chrissa, very well crafted

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  20. Careful of nostalgia always. Wonderful poem, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Better to remember, let go and move on! A great write Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with all the comments above, especially the nostalgia line.
    Read it sveral times it was so good and got more from it each time . . :)

    ReplyDelete