Thursday, August 8, 2019

Sanctuary


Summer over the sward
Is a helicopter ballet
Dragonflies in the laser heat
An explosion's aura
Behind my closed eyes
Stunned

Instead, follow lemon-lime
Sun flakes to the gingers
And shade
Into the scent of dirt and water
Splaying my fingers
Like the lizards
Surfing the widest leaves
Sulphur butterflies
Limelighting the shadows
Cooling the ashes 
Of the dance
With each breath


Sharing with The Sunday Muse for Wednesday's "Butterflies!" prompt. We're entering the Heat Advisory portion of the summer here and I'm looking forward to fall and being able to spend more time among the butterflies. :) 

-- Chrissa

5 comments:

  1. What amazing imagery in this! Splaying my fingers like the lizards...that is wonderful imagery. The last five lines of this is a poem all to itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful throughout, Chrissa. Loved helicopter ballet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "a helicopter ballet" This whole poem is so vivid. I can see the heat and nature before my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ready for fall, too. But I will miss the fireflies that come to my yard after dark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "lime-lighting the shadows" - beautiful imagery, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete