Sunday, August 18, 2019

The Story of My People


I am sitting at the table and the days
Are falling warm onto the ground like strawberries;
If I reach out I can catch them, hold them
Almost warm as skin.
Kiss them, debate tasting them…but I have
Devoured them and remember them sweet.
A lion’s mane rests on my sandals
Scratching my toes. His breath is on my shins.
Tell me the story of your people.
There was Wyndigo the First, whom we found
In a suburban backyard off the Loop.
He walked the sidewalks, rode shotgun in the Sundance.
There was Baron the Golden who found us
Before the remaking of Memorial City
When it was sleepy and had a cafeteria and an Eckerd’s
And a pet store. He would climb into your lap;
Overspill the affections. There is Merlin the Peskie—
Our fairy of fur and roundness, whose snores
Are the stuff of long afternoons drifting at the edge of twilight.
There was Varda the Beautiful, whose midnight coat
Called the stars into her embrace. Her holt was the space
Between the computer and the desk
Or the bathtub when it thundered, or someone knocked.
And there is Arthur, who has come to learn
The litany of his new peoples.
A velvet paw covers one knees, a rough tongue.
Go then. Take a taste of the garden with you.
I breathe the flavor of strawberries across my tongue.
This is the story of my people.


Sharing today with The Sunday Muse and Poets United. Today is our second day with Arthur (or Wart), the new pup. He was an unexpected but not unwelcome discovery as part of yesterday's Operation Pets Alive! Clear the Shelter event. This would be him, sleeping in the car on the way home. Another car dog!! Also, I suspect he might be a water dog. Guess we'll find out the next time we're in Lake Jackson. :) Sorry for the dog-dog-dog post...my brain is pretty much set on Puppy right now. As in "Where is the puppy?" "What is he finding that I didn't think he'd be interested in?" "Oh yeah, I forgot the puppy yowl." 

Hope everyone is having a good week and finding inspiration, especially as the seasons sneak toward change. 

-- Chrissa

20 comments:

  1. So sweet and real this is. I totally get how your dogs are your people. And my favourite line..."whose midnight coat
    Called the stars into her embrace", this is exquisite. I bet she had stars shining out from within her too. Thanks for sharing this, Chrissa. Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The breath of the lion, the taste of the strawberry, the image of Wyndigo walking, walking, walking... all so vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the days falling warm onto the grounbd like strawberries. That is delightful! Oh, I envy you your people! I miss living with dogs SO MUCH, but landlords in these parts are obdurate! I Love the snores that are "the stuff of long afternoons drifting at the edge of twilight." You are SO LUCKY to have a new pup and it is even better because you rescued him out of a shelter. Bless you. How many dogs in your house at the moment? Sigh. There is NOTHING better than a puppy. There will be laughter, many licks, and much joy. Sigh. My favourite EVER of your poems. I love the story of your people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only, in fact, two dogs in the house at the moment. James (and Arthur) managed to distract me before there were more. :) I'm always amazed at the things you remember only in the moment--the teething, etc. Thank you for reminding me to cherish the frustrations as well as the joys. :)

      Delete
  4. The imagery in this poem is incredibly vivid and gorgeous! 💖💖💖

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless you for taking a puppy from the shelter. I love the story of your people. The stories behind the names recalls ancient mythology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing poem. Imagine a lion at my sandalled feet as i eat a repast. Fantastic picture too.

    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today Chrissa

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fascinating tale woven with such magic. I love how you gave the characters life in so few words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved all the characters you have introduced and woven into your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for saving Arthur. Your love for dogs resonates through your poem.It breaks my heart to see the shelter dogs being put down because no one wants them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Telling the story of one's people is the only way others will understand. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this wonderfully sketched piece, that rides a wave of reality and enchantment masterfully.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my, what magical names they have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. You get your poetry gene from your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A glorious write Chrissa! Magical and wonderful! Congrats on the new addition to your family with Arthur! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I freaking love it! I think of the legendary animals (Faye the Valiant, Kit the Cuddler) I have shared a bit of my life with and smile. Here's to new adventures with Arthur/Wart!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Arthur!!! He is the dog who will soon be king!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a wonderful way to describe a wilder kind of heritage... mongrel well bred is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a wonderful litany of a family tree - I kind of visualized it as a totem pole for some reason as well!

    ReplyDelete