Monday, February 1, 2021

Sometimes A Broken Notebook

 


And now, February. January was interesting, wasn't it? 

February. Which means--changing the bulletin board over the writing desk. Thinking about what kinds of goals I have for this month. Taking down the Christmas lights. Continuing to avoid leaving the house. Finishing a book. My brain is no longer able to absorb written media. I've started several books (library, books on the shelves, Christmas presents) and put them in neat piles in various places. I read a few pages, forget what I've read, and pick up something else. This carries over into the writing. I'm filling up notebooks, but they resemble journals with a smattering of plotting.  Also, dog hair, dog doodles, and photos of things that "relate to the story." Sort of a cheating, writer-adjacent scrapbooking. And so, February.

I decided that the goal this month is just to blow off it all off. To pick up an old story that I don't really plan on finishing & no longer fits in with the how-did-things-blow-up-like-this plotlines I've been working on and just finish that story. Or some zombie draft of it. To read, if it's all I can manage, poems and short stories and a ton more first three chapters. To re-read, if necessary. To read more middle grade, maybe. (The reading slump bothers me more than the writing, honestly. When I just stare at pages and then flip over to FB because I'm sure there's a fuse lit somewhere...it's not good.

So--the Frog Prince Project. Bottom of the drawer, back of the desk, something to play with until my brain comes back. :) 

Keeper of Drafts,
Prince of Frogs. 



-- chrissa

No comments:

Post a Comment