Sunday, July 5, 2020

Ringlets and Waves

Champagne, 1920s. Atelier Manasse was a legendary Austrian photo studio that captured the golden age of cinema and cabaret in Vienna of the 1920’s and 1930’s. The studio, active in Vienna between 1922 and 1938.

It has driven the universe since it passed through her hair
Leaving an echo of emptiness on the plate,
Already gone.



And that's it. Weirdly. Not quite a poem; not an American sentence. Sort of the only verse of a song caught in passing. Maybe there will be more later or it will show up in this month's Camp NaNo project (a self-indulgent science fantasy just because, well, I'm still having trouble imagining the future) or it will just be the image that got away, as some of them do. There were fireworks last night and we were up late as one of our pups is nervous and managed to chew part of a notebook during the evening between perching on one or the other of us like a nervous crow. Actually, I'm not having a hard time imagining the future at all. I'm just starting to believe it's being written by a bored and suddenly supernaturally powerful Edgar Allen Poe. There's no Netflix like America, always eager for the cameras to roll...

Sharing today with The Sunday Muse and Poets and Storytellers UnitedHope you're having a good week, staying safe and finding hope. 
-- Chrissa

20 comments:

  1. I love the elusive quality of your offering, and enjoyed your comments after hugely, especially the future being written by the supernaturally powerful Edgar Allen Poe. LOL. Good one! Though even he could never have dreamed up the creature who is in power now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a titillating write, leaving us to our own ends to conjure a tale with such beginnings. Vunderbar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...it is very Kafka...it just could not happen...but it did. Chrissa is right...only in America

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just starting to believe it's being written by a bored and suddenly supernaturally powerful Edgar Allen Poe.

    lol we're going to be so poetically ruined then!

    and I totally FEEL the champagne. been so long since I had some~

    ReplyDelete
  5. "There's no Netflix like America" ~~~~~ you said it well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The unnoticed things that pass are often the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of it passing through her hair, like air.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you have intrigued me with that bit. I wonder about the "it" and its proximity to the idea of old Hollywood glamour, and maybe the idea of glamour in general.

    Poor pupper. Give him some belly rubs for me. Truly the American experience makes for engrossing entertainment right now, but I'd cancel it if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An eloquent, lovely, and illusive poem! I love it Chrissa! I am sorry you were up late with a scared pup and fireworks. 😓 Hopefully tonight will be more peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The image of "leaving an echo of emptiness on a plate," is gripping and strong. May we move on to better times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In conjunction with the image, I think it's complete. And I love it! The perfect expression of what it describes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful read Chrissa, I loved every word.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like your thoughts here. and some of it made me chuckle. thanks for sharing them with us. Nice write.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "It has driven the universe since it passed through her hair" -- I love that. Totally great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. And that's how loss feels, kids. It's happening right now, all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your poem..statement...so artfully written. Yes, "no Netflix like America" for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is an American Chrissa sentence, and you have invented it! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful narration to flirt around with words in your poem Chrissa!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we were on the same wavelength, trying to express the nothing. And yes, there's no Netflix like America.

    ReplyDelete