Sunday, May 31, 2020

Departure and Arrival

"Rocket" by Brad Phillips

Still called 'em tin cans when we found 'em
Gleaming in the grass, sly as the future, hot & bright.
We brought the aluminum home, crushed it
Traded it in just like those half-wild people
Who lived on grasslands in the far stellar reaches
Of the theater along with the lizards and moths
And daydreamed about survival.

City lights and stars, pop that shoots you
On a sugar and sentiment montage into the night;
I've told everyone about all that crashes
So fast solid ground liquefies and leaps 
With burning film reminding us light is bleach
Dreams are cleaned by waking thought
And all rubble falls just like arrival.

We called 'em dreams when we found 'em...
Don't give me dimes, give me fireworks
There's no river like the horizon.

Sharing this morning with The Sunday Muse and with Poets and Storytellers United. I've reached that stage of staying-at-home-as-a-lifestyle-choice where attempting to edit a short story ends in me Godzilla-stomping-without-the-suit through the house and growling. And then deciding to make a quarantine diary instead. Which led to me realizing why I was stomping around the house and looking for model cities to devour--months have gone by. And a story begun in March is bumping gently against the edge of June while my brain struggles to catch up, still somewhere in the middle of April. 

Hoping your week has been calmer and that this finds us all on the edge of a better week. :) 

-- Chrissa


22 comments:

  1. It was a simpler time when it was fun to find discarded cans and trade them for a few cents to buy a treat. Today would have been my father's 84th birthday. Sometimes I wish I could go back to one of those moments when he was still here and there were possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a visceral response to this ... not many poets are able to elicit that in me. You do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We called 'em dreams when we found them" really speaks to me, and to how far from the dream we have travelled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the last stanza, the phrasing and the truth of it.

    And I completely understand your note. You are not alone in your wanting to scream and stomp.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice write, I feel your days. Oh yes, I remember those of my similar days, U.S.Army private with two babies and a young wife not working outside the home and kids. We saved our bottles and cans from roadsides and home, cashed them for milk towards the end of the month. I still see a penny and pick it up.
    We too are staying in but will drive for curbside or drive-thru eating and every other week go to our Neighborhood Walmart on Tuesday Senior Shopping time at 6:00AM, we go every other week. Last week we bought car gas, first time since late January.
    Plus I'm trying to convert my junked up office back to a comfortable working area. Very slowly.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, to get back to our dreams.Brilliantly done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good! Such great language throughout. I especially liked:

    "Traded it in just like those half-wild people
    Who lived on grasslands in the far stellar reaches
    Of the theater along with the lizards and moths
    And daydreamed about survival."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like memories of simpler times to escape the reality of today. I suspect we all have a brain trying to catch up, as we live in this strange social distance limbo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this especially; "Dreams are cleaned by waking thought/And all rubble falls just like arrival."💘💘

    ReplyDelete
  10. I imagined a whole science fiction scenario about those fiery cans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel as if I have visited your dreams Chrissa! This is remarkable in it's use of language and the feelings it evokes! Sigh...I love this and can so relate to your note at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Don't give me dimes, give me fireworks"...a beautiful break-out experience. Love your imagery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it strange that when unprepared for a disaster we are unable to cope being out of control, being told what to do and seeing mayhem all around us. Your future horizon is I am sure longed for by all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, strange how one loses track of time and motivation.

    A wonderful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the conversational, colloquial tone of your poem and the picture you paint of your past, so unlike my past, although there is one thing we have in common: we got pennies for returning glass bottle instead of aluminium from cans. I also love the way you describe the cans ‘Gleaming in the grass, sly as the future, hot & bright’, precious as gold or silver mined from the ground. No wonder they were called dreams. My favourite lines:
    ‘Dreams are cleaned by waking thought
    And all rubble falls just like arrival.’

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love your techniques and your thoughts into birthing this piece. i feel great reading them. great work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "sly as the future" oh hell yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A splendid, wonderfully rendered piece - for a time in which the lines of reality and dreams seem to have become increasing blurry. And, as always your 'back story' is a treat unto itself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "City lights and stars, pop that shoots you
    On a sugar and sentiment montage into the night;"

    Such beautiful imagery in this. Dreams and reality often blur.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The horizon as a river--I love the image!

    ReplyDelete
  21. "Dreams are cleaned by waking thought" - this happens too often at the moment where the dream is lost in the mist of awakening. Thank you for that thought

    ReplyDelete