Saturday, May 9, 2020

An American Spider

Freckle spider fastens web to my arm hairs, weaving a hungry hope.

Several weeks ago, a tiny spider was sharing my outside perch, crawling over my arm and book, tacking a slight webbing between body and book. The webbing made my arm more sensitive to the breeze and my skin to the spider's passage.

I found myself wanting to will myself patient enough to await a web, a labyrinth catching the light (and bugs) as I read. I wasn't--even small spiders eventually trip my shudder/slap response, especially if they prefer to investigate my head. 

Before this, however, it hunched itself into stillness on the edge of the lapdesk. The pose reminded me of the spider on the dollar bill and, in these torn apart times, of the incomprehensible balance of society, money, and man.  Every connection makes us more sensitive...but it doesn't always bring us together. Patience is finite; fear is sudden and fierce.

1 comment:

  1. A labirynth catching the light, that is beautiful Chrissa and I love the message this imparts. We need connections and that last line is powerful!!

    ReplyDelete