Saturday, March 28, 2020

Spray Paint and Yolene


It's not easy to keep the spacing: walls aren't 12 x 12
And I don't have stencils the way we did in high school,
Letters big enough to see from the back of the stands
Before they burst.
There were stencils for those square sheets, all the ways
To remember that Corpus vacation, the band concert
And my own college graduation, partying with Delia.
The kids have those.
It doesn't matter if these letters are straight, if there
Are...what are they? Sticks? Tags? Fat letters,
Nicknames. I just want to say, I've bought the paint;
I am Still Yolene.

So there was a big, somewhat bitter, stir-crazy discussion at home about references and the fact I'd picked the name "Yavinia"...and, yes, it's just stream of consciousness and no, not everyone was addicted to tempera paint at various points in their childhood, or scrapbooking (a standard page is 12 x 12) and I settled on Yolene because that's probably her name anyway and it probably looks better on the wall and I was watching videos of brittle stars and people walking through their neighborhoods and dead malls while composing this because that's how I get through the day (and reading outside and playing a version of tennis ball soccer with our border collie that usually involves someone getting their toes sliced because Arthur doesn't really like to let the ball go unless he believes you're really going to walk away) *deep breath* and this should have been the poem because this is what stream-of-consciousness actually is, thank you very much; but it's not. 

This is the additional material that you should've (and probably have) definitely skipped. 

Hope you're doing well, that your writer brain is not coated in gauze and panic, and that we can all just pretend the preceding never happened

-- Chrissa

22 comments:

  1. I am grinning because your stream of consciousness note IS the real poem, I absolutely loved it and held my breath while I was reading. Absolutely freaking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the poem, and savored every line of the stream of consciousness.
    Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poetic capturing of Yolene but the stream of consciousness is wonderful! Glad your home and safe my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the breathless energy in this! Good job. Stay well, all good in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two excellent pieces - especially the stream ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the poem, Chrissa 💝 as well as every bit of the stream of consciousness. Definitely not to be skipped!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yolene sounds nice, i guess, it's good. And your stream-of-consciousness note is as good as any other one sentence poem. If not better. Anyway i am also wasting my time watching videos my friends sent, and some are obviously fakes, and i am beginning to fear social media. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you took me back to what my high school called "Field Day" when each of the 3 classes (freshmen attended the junior high across town) selected a them. It involved a color and a theme. Seniors were red, juniors blue, sophs green. We made costumes around whatever our theme was, made banners, had a parade with 3 floats, had atheletic competitions and judges selected the winning class. I hadn't though of it in years. Good stuff, Chrissa.

    And I have to: Yolene, Yolene, Yolene, Yoleeeene...I'm beggin ya please don't take my man. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. She will be forever Yolene for me, stencils or not.

    P.S. And don't apologize for the "extra bits". I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your poem of Yolene and your stream of consciousness especially the tennis ball soccer with your border collie
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha! Nice. Good for you, Yolene!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always like a little extra bits in my poetic meals. Long live Yolene!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the poem, and loved even more the absolutely engaging, cheering stream of consciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that note- and yes it deserves to be a poem of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the poem and love your mind. Great read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I liked the name Yolene. Were you thinking perhaps of the song, Jolene and changed it a bit? Or did a Spanish speaking person read it to you?
    Short of periods also, I could loan you some. (A long sentence isn’t necessarily a run-on sentence--per Grammarly.)
    That Corpus vacation reminded me of a celebration I wanted to take down there. I had just paid off the Conoco account; at our divorce, first marriage, I had all the loaded credit cards and she got the kids and the one-year-old car. My car, an older VW Beatle, blew its engine at Warton, just outside of Houston. I called a friend to tow me home.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  18. The declaration of "I am ...." rings true for each of us. Someday each of us will rise. Thank you for sparking this thought

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, well, the duet plays well together. It never occurred to me that she might be writing her name! You sound like you have actually experienced the unwieldiness of spray paint, the reason for stencils.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not easy to keep the spacing - many meanings in that one.

    ReplyDelete