Monday, March 16, 2020

One Thing




Merlin's snores...mostly he sleeps at the foot of the bed
Or on the tile,
Somewhere his vvrrrumble makes an ambient texture
The way dust glitters a sunbeam
Or a distant lawnmower eases the emptiness.
This afternoon we're sharing a beanbag
The same one I shared a year ago with his sister
Who passed away last summer.
I am grateful for every sound he makes,
His insistent existence.


This is very off-the-cuff, but I'm sharing it to go with the Name One Thing That Makes You Grateful prompt shared by our Houston Poet Laureate, who suggested a prompt (at right) as she announced that she, too, might have COVID-19.  Sharing here because I'd rather concentrate, for now, on gratitude. And puppies. 

-- Chrissa

2 comments:

  1. It is those little things like a pup snoring by your side that one misses when they are gone. I love this Chrissa! There are so many things that make me grateful but my children are top on the list! Terry David Amber Ryan & Becky. 💖💖💖💖 Thank you for sharing this! 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  2. One looks around for some comfort,salvation of sorts knowing fully well it is a frightening feeling just thinking about it. Very contemporary Sandlin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete