Sunday, March 15, 2020

Apple in a Catsuit




She licks the licorice from her brush
An old powder brush, her grandmother's,
Sticky now, and spiky, sugar talons
Mimicking spilled oil.
Every apple starts out good--her words--
But we make them evil as we can.
Apple in a catsuit
Won't be a hero, every one a supervillain
Tempting everyone poisonous.
Every book and every philosophy
Begin here.
Night skies--lick---dirt---lick--deep water.
She produces the inevitable knife.
I think she's going to offer me a slice;
I twist my hands and forearms tight.
Could be a new fad, instead of caramel.
If you're going to joke about dark timelines
Might as well have your apples match.
But she never does.
Tells me I've already eaten it
Already written it
Already choked.

We watch the apple for a little while
And go back to our phones.

Supervillain apples...might add that to the ridiculous adventure story that I'm using to distract myself right now. Also researching snails because I need to differentiate mine from any other giant dangerous snails that might exist in other fantasy universes. Because the world needs more giant snails. Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Hope this finds you well. Can't tell everyone how thankful I am for The Sunday Muse and Poets and Storytellers United as we hunker down for the next few weeks. Thank you. 

-- Chrissa

20 comments:

  1. Apple in a catsuit
    Won't be a hero, every one a supervillain

    I like the way you give us a rather twisted reverse-mirror-image of the world in this. It manages that very difficult bridge from being tongue in cheek to being eerie and disturbing. Very infused with the anxiety of where we are right now. I am also intrigued by the giant snails. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Every apple starts out good-" : true, as every person too, but somewhere along the way we go back to our phones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Apple in a catsuit" -- terrific. Love all the surprising language and interplay of images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Propensity towards where it started...
    Stupid serpent worming its way to Eden
    Snow White didn't stand a chance ;)
    _____________
    https://hazelceej.com/nourishment-by-the-bay/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing write, enjoyed it! I’ll have a candy apple please ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! From the title on, I was completely intrigued at this brilliant construct/threat and love the ending, we already ate it and choked! Nothing to see here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From grandma's old powder brush, this was an enigmatic read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a stunning poem but you had me at apple in a catsuit and that ending was brilliant and will linger in my thoughts for the remainder of the week. Stay safe my friend..will talk more at WCFB ✍️📜🌟🙏🌹

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love "every apple starts out good." So true. I love the apple in a catsuit too. Well, I love the whole poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And here I was thinking she was just a tad kinky and enjoyed dressing up in chocolate. She's good though, this catsuit-wearing fruit--almost had me fooled. Hm... I wonder if she'll get a comic book deal. I mean, look how she shines! She might get many to play with her... before the choking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is incredibly riveting, Chrissa!💝 You had me at "Every apple starts out good." That it does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh oh oh....just my opinion, of course, but I wish you'd left off that final couplet. I read it at first without them (before I noticed them) and the ending with "already choked" hit like a balled fist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very curious about that mysterious "she" who enjoys creating the poison apples. But I can see how we may have unknowingly ingested some well placed toxins and not know (or understand) the way the poison seeps out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Surreal, but with enough reality to draw me in and paint me envious of your writing skills!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful read … that carried me along right through to an awesome ending.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I loved this!!!Surreal, and so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! I too didn't notice the ending couplet until Shay pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Is the apple made out to be an evil thing right from the time of Adam and Eve? More mystifying now when it is also coloured black!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  19. We're thankful for you,too, Chrissa – and for this deliciously unsettling tale.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A truly dystopian image your apple " Mimicking spilled oil."
    Well done Chrissa.

    much❤love

    ReplyDelete