Saturday, August 1, 2020

Telling Stories

Artistic Photography Dreamlike Portrait Photography by Damien Casals

Trust me. We'll be surrounded and you'll be 
enchanted. 

Fairies come out at twilight, 
just before I can see.

Iridescent skin, veiny, mica wings.

More legs than is human.
Vibrating.

Yes, it sounds like a swarm
of bugs. But I'm wiser than you.

Keep your eyes closed.

We'll be across the border;
you'll feel it fall across your face.

I'll keep you safe.

I swallow screams for dinner.
I can see fairies in the dark.

Can you trust an owl?

My eyes are closed and in the silence
I see a flash--the brand of the saute pan 
Suddenly rimmed by soap as I washed it.

My skin itches and I think about glass
cases full of thin ceramic plates, 
designs washed out by white lighting

It used to be shopping malls, then 
Wal-mart, then the grocery stores,
thin dishes in piles, pick your icon.

I can hear them. It grows darker!

Time itches beneath my skin
until a breeze scratches it away.

***

Should you ever trust an owl? They're lovely and they seem...harmless in the daytime. And yet, they trail rumors of goblins and wisdom and necromancy in their silent shadows. Yes, they can see in what passes for darkness on moonless nights...but they don't seem the type to tell all they see, do they?

Sharing with The Sunday Muse and Poets and Storytellers United. Wishing everyone a good week! :) 

-- Chrissa

25 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes the brilliant ones watch in silence. This really speaks to me in it's caution Chrissa. So much info and perceptions are being thrown at us these days. I love the question in this and the thoughts that correlate with the times are spot on and wonderfully crafted. I hope your weekend brings you more sunflower inspiration and smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is dense, like entering woods... captivating...💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the owls swallowing screams....as they do......and a poem with fairies in it is always a good thing. A lovely read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Yes, it sounds like a swarm
    of bugs. But I'm wiser than you" -- awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps they only tell what they feel is important, and in their own owly world don't always consider the difference between an important detail to an owl and an important detail for the human making that trip between Faerie and Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fairies or owl? I am enchanted on the edge of my chair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luv your mysterious images a very entertaining write. Happy Sunday. Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always perceived owls as the quiet voice of wisdom in the night hours....a friendly wake-up call. These are owls I haven't met! Great mysterious write!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many of your lines will continue to dance in my skull after I'm gone from here--the idea of swallowing screams, time itching under the skin, the power of a breeze... I do love the way your muse sees the world, and the way you share those visions with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have had encounters with owls and there has always been a reason for their visitation. On silent wings flutters caution. Owls are filled with mystery just like your fairies. I don't think they tell all that they see but, they give glimpses.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This speaks to me about perception. Love the image of "swallowing screams for dinner."

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Trust me," says the Owl, Linda Blair-ing its head. "Trust me!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a magical theme amongst Pantry posts this week, what with Robin's mermaid, Joel's other-worldly visitor, and now your fairies! (Personally I would trust an owl if one came to me offering to be my guide.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. swallowing screams for dinner...hmmmm...i so want to have that skill but i'm not that strong. great write!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Noting Rosemary's comment above it is clearly an escape mechanism for writers in the Covid crisis to visit other worlds where fantasy reigns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I swallow screams for dinner...brilliant! Who wouldn't want this kind of bodyguard?

    ReplyDelete
  17. A magical poem, Chrissa, you’ve described fairies so beautifully: ‘Iridescent skin, veiny, mica wings’, and I love the lines:
    ‘I swallow screams for dinner.
    I can see fairies in the dark’
    and
    ‘Time itches beneath my skin
    until a breeze scratches it away.’

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, a truly beautiful, magical poem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This read sooo good, Chrissa. I traveled with the writer and bird, had a couple of thoughts. I thought of all those poor souls traveling north seeking a better here with us. And your line, "it sounds like a swarm of bugs" would be anticipation of food for the bird. Like a mother looking for food for the kids in no man's land.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. We love owls and would like to see (and hear) many more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting take on this pic. Just happened to watch Midsummer Night's Dream recently, and I think there is quite a parallel with your fairy-bugs and human busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those screams for dinner just make me shiver!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the owl swallowing screams for dinner. Must be 13 ways to look at an owl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving the way you write. I would walk across the border into the woods with you because I trust you can mingle kindly with fairies. I am already friends with the owl.

    ReplyDelete