Sunday, August 9, 2020

All Moons Create Monsters


 

It calls the Wild where we were;
The tank, the assassin, the tactical lizard 
All came to the summer porch
Evening lay humming, too light
For the Wild in the suburbs and park.

The tank was a were-pillow, was a dog;
The assassin an eel king and also a dog;
The lizard born winged, from too many wasps
Its mother consumed that season.

Moon calls her monsters with sunburnt voice
Now a dragon, a barbarian hairy and grey,
A thief with sharp teeth and shadows
Will hunt the wild moon streets
Through a flood of cast-out ghosts 

Ghosts like scattered corn
Pursued by deer with grinding teeth
Or
Ghosts like the dark cold 
At the bottom of the creek
Shadow-spread through garage or kitchen.

Wind shoves the detached before it
But the loose believe they fly skillful;
An orange specter is screaming,
A gaping Cheetos bag,
It warns those it passes of the litter and the fear
Ghosts are chasing it; is it so much faster? 

The Wild is running over us
Dirt and leaves and water 
Even the lightest sinking in the current
Down to the murk where the labyrinth
Curves into claws and feral trees fall, released
To skim everything from the bones.

The tanker offers sleep, a snoring pillow
Like a fortress and the assassin darts through shadow
Pulls the ghosts from the wind
With a sable bite, darkness against the Moon
And the lizard flies like dreams and moonlight
Catching out the nightmares 
Until the night looms, fantastically still, once again

I'll hear the hoofbeats next time
I'll close the window swiftly
I'll weigh the windy lies with old words
Before the Wild comes whistling

Sharing at noon and a half because I'm awake (victory!), still relatively voiceless, and completely overmastered by the weirdness I was trying to weave while still mostly sleeping. :) I'm not sure what I managed to get into (James thinks it's dustmites and mildew--he'd like me to remember to BRING THINGS INDOORS WHEN IT RAINS; I'm convinced it's inhaling dog hair while Arthur tries to watch himself in the TV and then the bathroom mirror) but it pretty much has the muse social distancing as best she can. I think it might be cabin fever, in which case, I'm hoping an entire chorus of Muppets will be showing up shortly for our dance number.

Hope your week is fully of fuzzy happy! Or just happy. Or...fuzz. If that's your thing.

We've got cabin fever! We're all going nuts!
-- Chrissa

7 comments:

  1. The saying goes 'blame it on the moon' or merely coincedenses, how much do we really know of moon's dalliances

    Happy Sunday Chrissa. Thanks fir dropping by my sumie Sunday today

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes many a haunting night could certainly be blamed on the moon. A stunning write my friend! I do hope you are feeling better soon. 🌷

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moon calls her monsters with sunburnt voice......what a fabulous line, and poem......so imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissa, you came to Dystopia unless it was a dream. Worse and worse as we went along. I like the read, just trying to guess what would be next but I missed every time!!
    What ever bug you found please get rid of it soon.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, that is all crazy great. "The tank, the assassin, the tactical lizard" - wonderful. And this: "were-pillow" I wish I'd thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is totally epic! I feel the fuzz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this...I wanted to copy and paste the entire thing because I love every line of it. I will post one single wow in a plethora of many. "Ghosts like scattered corn
    Pursued by deer with grinding teeth" Wow!

    ReplyDelete