Sunday, August 30, 2020

Solar Festival

 

Where the exhaustion drops our dark eyes
Dry into the dim soil--a last sunward glimpse
Before green sleep cracks our lids in a dream
Of water gnawing soil, curling around us, chewing--
In that field we are all listening to the sun,
Singing.
In the far forest fringe, mowed to a double row
Trees sigh in the last festival night, birth of Autumn
Whose eyes are dark, as all our dreams are green
Beyond these webs and whispers and wings
Swept by the last hot sight.

It took time...and another poem...and then another chapbook of poetry...to bring my head back to the space where these prompts tap into the fantastic rather than the furious. Fury is a great activator--but there's so much it's just shutting me down. I go back to fantasy for my sense of cycles, for rage against despair, for breathing space. And, of course, to re-enchant an exhausted field, frazzled in too much sunlight, too much heat, too many oops-I-forgot-to-water days (I'm sure that doesn't happen on farms. It happens in my backyard, though.). 

Also, I may be a little cranky because I've been spending the past few days re-doing my writing files and there's nothing like a project full of labels, lists, and stacks of printouts from 2012 to seduce you into thinking about all the lovely order and neatness that will result and forgetting the days of quibbling over exactly what should be filed where and why while the dogs eel their way through stacks. 

Hope your writing week has been productive & that everyone is staying safe & sane. 

-- Chrissa

16 comments:

  1. " Autumn / Whose eyes are dark" - Ooh, nice! And "water gnawing soil" is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gorgeous poetic voice my friend! I am glad you are feeling the fantastic more than the furious, and you are right, fury is quite a writing fuel. I look forward to seeing your finished product from your project. It will be totally worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous poem.

    Yes, that's a mighty job, sorting the files! One I've been putting off....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our poems today have a lot in common. Yours is almost spellbinding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was about to start quoting the lines that hit home for me, when I realized I'd be repeating most of your poem back to you. It's exquisite, with its startling, soft metaphors, and firm fantasy outcomes...I really appreciate and agree with your point about fury--it's hard to turn away from, and perhaps it's what our emotions need for fuel on this current journey, but for poetry, it only goes to one place, whereas fantasy can wander everywhere. I especially liked the first two and last four lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So difficult not to let the fury take over. Your words are eloquent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrissa, this is beautiful. I feel the same fatigue, and my sense of justice is outraged these days. I can see you and I may be a bit on the same wavelength today. I wrote mine yesterday, just posted it(my second one) and am smiling at the synchronicity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too could get lost in those dreams of singing sun and find comfort in their green. We all need a sanctuary to recover in after fury has lived inside us too long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Autumn
    Whose eyes are dark, as all our dreams are green"
    What strength in hope, this is powerful

    Happy Sunday, thanks for droppibg by my sumie Sunday today

    Much🌻love

    ReplyDelete
  10. From now on, I might always picture the eyes of Autumn as dark encircled by sunlit petals.

    I like both your fantastic and your furious ink. And I just shook my head, because your note reminded me that I need to stop procrastinating... and should start going to my rewriting pile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was born to be read out loud--I just love the wayit sounds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a splendid poem ... I must tell you reading your notes first frames the 'spirit' of the poem for me. Brava, Chrissa, brava.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful poem Chrissa. As for writers you are asking a bit about their sanity when they write poems so different from everyday life by escaping from it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yes, beautiful! I love ‘a last sunward glimpse / Before green sleep cracks our lids in a dream / Of water gnawing soil’!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some times we need the light and dark in us to find expression. You do such a beautiful job of writing both. Dark autumn eyes with sunflower lashes... I love that image.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to admit that a sunward glimpse is something I really don't need today, a day when the temp is supposed to soar to 113 degrees Fahrenheit! Maybe I'll appreciate those sunward glimpses more come autumn.

    ReplyDelete