Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Does She Ever Finish Anything?

In the emotional ferment that last night became, I picked up yet another book to read. This one is a Janis Joplin biography and I'm trying to not let it take over my reading shelf. This one is written by her sister and I can't imagine taking up a burden like that.

Janis Joplin fascinates me because she grew up in the same area as my parents. In her life, that area gets a measure of media that tells me a little bit about what it was like. My family tends to believe in locking things behind doors--there's an entire list of subjects that I can't comfortably discuss today because of the idea that polite people don't bring these things up in conversation. Needless to say, I love listen to Janis screaming from the speakers. I'm looking forward to reading the book.

Meanwhile, I'm picking back on the Black Deer novel that I've been writing off and on for the past several years. In order to clear out the headspace for working on it, I think I'm going to have to treat it like a NaNo novel in the sense that drafts can be awful and the important thing is to just get it out. There are ideas that keep spinning out in regards to the plot, but the words seem to be coming out in a stilted format.

I think it may be related to the idea that there are things that you don't discuss. It's a cliche to say that you have to go to uncomfortable places to write, that politeness doesn't always serve the story, etc. I fear that it would be easier than not to say something that would push me into angry-villager territory. Is this because I myself lack courage, though? Do I project that utter weeniness onto those I associate with? Just another uncomfortable thought, brought to you by reading.

Meanwhile, I'm going to continue my own personal 'profiles in courage' reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment