Thursday, March 18, 2021

WordCrafters Wednesday (3/17/2021): St. Patrick's Day

 Carrie's prompt for today is Luck/Rainbow/Irish/Pot-a-Gold and a lovely green bird. While my heart is with the green bird (and birds along the fence have been keeping me sane during this time of sheltering at home), the poem that came was different.


Luck

Luck hummed from his cauldron,
Leprechaun offering this bargain:
Take this gold and spend it fine
In your yard and by your vines.

All the gold has devoured the green--
these prettiest of beetles I've ever seen.

I took the pot of gilded wings,
misled by their shimmering.
Spent it all among the leaves
as it hied itself into the weeds.

All the gold has devoured the green--
these prettiest of beetles I've ever seen.

He needed his coins well-fed;
elf-folk spend only the living lead
which gilds itself by our dreams
melted in the heat of greed.

All the gold has devoured the green--
these prettiest of beetles I've ever seen.

2 comments:

  1. Nice St. Patrick's Day poem, I like the form. Those Leprechauns can be tricky, one pushed me down some stairs in Ireland and I had to come home, with a broken kneecap and out of joint finger, and bloody scabs over a lot of me. Thank you for reading me today, some of the Midwest give room and board for a night to passing folk on foot. Beats having them sleep under bridges and going hungry.
    Please read me when you can, a lot don't leave comments, about one third do. The rest are family, friends, and (???) who don't blog themselves. I will look for you here in April. I am debating whether or not to write daily for 'NaPoWriMo' or only sporadic posts. I've done that for several years.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did a month of short poems last November but it might be fun to do it again for NaPoWriMo (in April?). Would be happy to cheer along a fellow daily poet! :)

      Delete