Sunday, February 9, 2020

Tundra Borealis


I would not tell you a lie, only a tale
Turning from moon and sun,
There is a light in a cave in a frozen sea
And if the world is breaking into pieces
We will drift there on this last sheet.
Lay still, the waters rocking underneath
Are chaos blue, radiation-fired, deep;
They will carry us to where they sleep,
Where brighter light, ice-sheathed
Never dares, in sun's despite, retreat.
This will form our dawn, beneath.

Yes, it's a weird, rhyming invitation from one polar bear to another to a polar wonderland, somewhere underneath the rapidly retreating ice. There, the fish swim in streams down the veins of glaciers to pools to clear to be distinguished from the air, all of which glows with the blue of a cavernous ice-sun that refuses to melt more than is necessary for the glacier to slumber...perhaps it's an ice giant that dreams a tundra borealis of creatures blinking up at the ever colder night. 

Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United and The Sunday Muse as part of Sunday's great poetry whirl. :) Anyway...hope everyone is having a great week! 

-- Chrissa

18 comments:

  1. Your poem fantasy reminds me of the first part of Fantasia 2000 with the humpback whales flying through tunnels of ice.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EBy1lBXgtE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the great Scifi romance of this. Reminds me of one of the last scene in the Titanic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of polar bears telling each other stories, but am sad that humanity has created a situation that has them seeking solace and escape from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a world under the ice, you have explored with your mind thanks for sharing it with us. Happy Sunday Chrissa

    Much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am certain ... very certain ... polar bears tell each other stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To drift "...to where they sleep..." an entertaining little fantasy enhanced by your invitation from polar bears, a peaceful respite along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This hits my heart...the world breaking under the polar bears' feet........they drift way, eyes full of questions......your poem makes me contemplate life under the surface, which is dark and deep and full of marine life that is struggling too. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Polar Bear heaven! Sad that their world has become so difficult as to give rise to such tales. The words of both poem and back story are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so admire where you let this photo take you. I've waited and waited for an epiphany and alas none has been forthcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a deep feeling that if polar bears comfort each other and tell each other tales that truly are this beautiful. I love this in all its sadness and hope Chrissa!.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before I read your note I felt the poem inviting me with one of those lies called fantasy that all will be well when we're gone! Powerful layers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can visualize the bears drifting on that last sheet of ice into a better land filled with hope.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The poem is so visual. I see scenes after scenes created within such a brief space. Sad yet beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the beautiful 'word-notes' you've struck in this wonderfully rendered 'dream'. A pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Listening in on one polar bear beseeching another. Intriguing and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aqua-Bears gather their strength before seizing world dominion! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heartbreakingly beautiful. I thought my heart would jump out of my chest, when I read, "We will drift there on this last sheet." There is a world of love and loss in that line, in its implications.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It seems like this photo ignited you into a lovely fairytale.

    ReplyDelete