Saturday, January 2, 2021

Time

 


Time is the short flight from the chrysalis to the porch light
Sharp shifts found in the garden, the bugs and the discards
We aren't removing the soil or the rust, let the rain mark us

Time is the mark it leaves or the growth of the machine
Buzz, clank, ring. Leave the edge and the curlicues, breathe
There was a year slowly, slowly excavated from this clay

Time before now, when these instruments marked reason
Let them now mark ruin, flick the lever to soldered gears
Memory solid, soiled; heavy thoughts glimmer, wings tick

Happy New Year! Heading into 2021, I want to be excited about potential. I want to be hopeful about silly things, like going to a mall and eating in a restaurant. I want to believe that I'll be seeing people again, shortly, in just a few weeks, and for fun. First, though, I need to make sense of the pile of half-finished stories left over from 2020. I need to relearn what it is safe to hope for --because it seems dangerous, right now, to hope too expansively. My brain is taking in the sunny window and the warm dog, the iced coffee and the familiar computer room and it's looking for lurking monsters. It will take time to retrain it to see the sunlight and the dogs without the monsters. January is all about finishing drafts & keeping the monsters on the page. :) 

Sharing this week with The Sunday Muse.

Merlin, looking adorable as always

Writing board, updated for January, in a totally 80's unicorn theme

Wishing you a creative, safe, and happy new year!

-- Chrissa 







14 comments:

  1. I love your poem and, even more, your notes after, full of sunshine and dogs and a new year beginning. I am wondering if 2021 might bring me a dog. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is melded and welded well between machine and the breath and growth of the living.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking what I read and what I see and what I hear. I hear a lot of inside rhyme, good job, Chrissa. I see a garden deserted, then scene shifting to machinery. I read three steps forward and two and a half back, sort of. You poodle is sooo cute, a companion I know. We had a French Toy Poodle, white, her name was Katrin, and she was given to us from a friend as she died. For pictures, see
    https://jimmiehov6.blogspot.com/search?q=katrin
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Enjoy your work room, my youngest granddaughter would love one like yours.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that chrysalis to porch light analogy! It is puzzling to collect one's thoughts about 2020 and know what to expect of 2021. Here's wishing you a calm and peaceful 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so much to say about what I love here that I am struggling with where to start! First I love how you have captured the image and time so magnificently! Every line just flows to the next time distilled. Gorgeous!!! Then I love Merlin's photo and your writing board!! I am looking forward to Word Crafter meeting in person again, and all the same things you have mentioned. So many things we have lost this past year, but there is much to be hopeful for. Wishing you a blessed and wonderful new year my friend. Thank you for being such a wonderful part of the Muse!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time travel never felt so real! I love this ... first line, I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful poem Chrissa. Time is x relentlless machine.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "short flight from the chrysalis to the porch light" Amazingly great line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful poem, and also the insight to your thoughts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So love your poem and the notes. I too wonder about what it is safe to hope for, but after this last year hope is what will keep me moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was taught that time is "now" and we should make the most of now. That seems so hard to do in today's reality. The mall? I haven't gone there since March of last year. Heck it wasn't even ope until a few months ago. I want to laugh again a real belly laugh with friends and family. sigh..

    Wishing you a new year filled with hope and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, Chrissa! Love the "chrysalis to porch light"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time is the essence. Yes Chrissa. Would love to be normal again, the old normal! Happy New Year Ma'am!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. That first line made me shiver, in its truthfulness. I guess, we can wish for that short trip to be meaningful...

    And I'm right with you in January (and 2021 in general) to be about finishing things. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete