Saturday, January 16, 2021

Sea Story

 Sharing this week with The Sunday Muse and  Poets and Storytellers United. 



Not the same page twice nor the day--
I read them or I drank them
let's say river water and salt seas
  while coining  waveloom sunlight
rust the barrel of my pen and I begin
gold for all our afternoon sewing;
again, roll the ball through the water,
the soft catch of a needle 
start the story, let the wind
binding fin and silk
take all my feathers and fall
while the novel washes
hard
once
back onto the saltwater cured
through this day and water. 
blank page, stiff now--a scale
Would you give a dolphin a ruff
or a sliver of bone that lifts 
or a tight chainmail weave?
skin towards sun and clouds.
Are you dreaming of the great
Wings flayed from water.
electric heartbeat pounding
Did you find an empty book
against your eardrums beneath 
by the shore? Did you open it?
these waves? Are you too dry?
Was it empty?
Is there a sequel?

dolphin fleeing from costume

So...this week. Thanks to Shay for giving me a way to peel a poem from a poem (and inspiring a minor speculation on how I'd dress a dolphin, if I had the chance)! And start another story notebook/journal for the upcoming week. And resort to the craft closet to fiddle with character ideas. And listen to the video on repeat. :) 

Despite some good recent news, I feel that I'll be holding my breath through next Wednesday (and, of course, we're still staying at home). And, of all the weirdnesses, Arthur has learned how to climb into office chairs but not how to get down. I'll be typing and hear this "tap, tap" and turn around and see this:


And then, gradually, he makes his way (because he's adorable and I drag the chair closer) into a balance between our chairs that is highly unstable and requires the writing to cease and the belly scritchies to increase. Because we all know who's in the boss chair.

Hope y'all are having a safe & cozy week!  

-- Chrissa




13 comments:

  1. I adore the layers here of beautiful thoughts and questions. They ebb and flow like waves leading us to questions of our own to ponder. Simply amazing my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silly Arthur! Keep Chrissa on her toes!

    So glad to have the chance to read this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the double decker side by side back and forth style, fun to read. lovely poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, excellent! - river water and salt seas - nice job here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double the fun! While you're dressing the dolphin, I'll be holding my breath on Wednesday as well. I understand the loser is planning a glorious military send-off and trying to arrange a fly-over for the morning of. I swear, I'm coming back in 50 years just so I can read how history covers the last 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fascinating write Chrissa, and the left right interplay revealed some interesting results. “...let's say river water and salt seas, while coining waveloom sunlight...”

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fascinating play (as someone else has already said) between the two streams of thought. May require more than one cursory internet reading. One hour of typing, one hour of scritches ...haven't your read the owners manual that came with your friend?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Arthur, joining you in your office! Am impressed with your double-poem, too. Very.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read three poems here. Bravo
    Happy Sunday Chrissa, thanks for dropping by to read mine

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant. The language and images liminal, pulling us under the waves and the surfacing us for the next breath. "Wings flayed from water" - god that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful, creative poem. "Wings flayed from water." U so love that line. I find such joy in wings, you've given me new ones to contemplate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat, Chrissa. My line is "Would you give a dolphin a ruff" which sent me to the the dictionary. Ruff, a XXX bird (good dolphin food). They had several others that wouldn't fit here, my "ruff" has always been the "ruff ruff" of the dogs. Not even in the dictionaries that I used.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was awed by this writing, Chrissa, and Arthur is charming.

    ReplyDelete