Sunday, January 10, 2021

Apples, or We Are All Tempted

 


And I kept in my pocket the green letters and icing;
that cake that never got smaller.
If only they'd told me, the bakers that sold it
about the apples beneath.
Golden apples for life and poisoned for death
bitter for faces and...these
All the apples underneath.

And I sold for the locket the unending cake
that never was eaten at all;
I sold for the face of  a foregone beloved
 hope of nothing, well-gnawed.
And still unknown, still concealed, still sweet
red apples gleaming
in the far, far beneath.

Oh, how perfect they are, how unbitten
are the red apples beneath
And how sharp in the shearing illusion
are my beloved's teeth.

Good grief, I have a terrifying thought that I've written a poem that...is about Twilight. Honestly, I'm not sure. I just had this image of buried apples much more potent than the apples of the Hesperides and...you know, there's just no excuse. Apples are always going to be dangerous. 

Sharing this week with the much saner than I poets of  The Sunday Muse and Poets and Storytellers United. Come read widely and well!

-- Chrissa

22 comments:

  1. These lines are pure magic my friend!! With a punch packed ending I love!! Your after note made me chuckle! I always love your notes at the end! Wishing you a peaceful and book-filled week Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples - from Genesis to Alice and her wonder lands, ever present. The excuses just as intriguing

    Happy Sunday
    Happy New Year

    Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much✨love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding writing - especially hooked by that second stanza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy Webb who wrote 'MacArthur Park' and so many other amazing songs would have a field day with this poetry. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Maybe humming it ????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uneaten cake. Unbitten apples. What a picture of hopelessness you have painted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adam bit the apple, and Johnny carried its seed all over. I wonder at the conversation if Adam and Johnny Appleseed sat down for tea! (Sorry, my brain took a side trip there!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somber to encouraging thoughts those apples were hiding. I peeked under your cake and could not get even a whiff of a rotten apple. I'm wondering if your longer search might have found a few?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worry not! Because what this one brings to mind, in my case, is Neil Gaiman's "Snow, Glass, Apples" which is way cooler than the sparkling alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pommes de terres, roots that run deep.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Intriguing poem Oh those attractive dangerous apples buried in a cake

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well this is gorgeous! Apples are so loaded with magic and possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  12. I revelled in the dark fairy-tale feel of this ... and then couldn't help giggling at your note about Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, Twilight was not in my mind at all when I read this. I thought of bad bargains, of deals made without reading the fine print, and how by the time you know it there's not much left of the soul to object.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As I was reading I thought of the symbolism of apples throughout time. They can be good and evil depends on their use. I kept thinking of snow white and the evil queen with her poison apple.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Apples are a source of literary and historical inspiration...sharp teeth and apples go together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. An apple a day... no, wait.
    There seems that there was an intention that was replaced with regret.

    ReplyDelete
  17. While treating apples with suspicion reminds us to be wary of just about everything. Trust no one but be wary of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  18. loved this dark poem.
    this is scary, a clean, good-looking face to the world, and an inside that's all messed up. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. All apples promise (or threaten) to keep the doctor away. Dead people don't need doctors.
    Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such fairy tale spell you have woven.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It feels like a fairy tale, a spell. Oh how apples can mislead. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now I am thinking of all the bad apples I've known or heard about.

    ReplyDelete