Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas 55

 


There's a creature smothering
in the ice blue sea,
caught like a cave painting
in the year's thick ice.

I can drive over tundra,
downshifting to holiday--
the gifts are wrapped,
family called,
food cooked.

At some point, though,
I'm going to need that ax.
The emergency one
I've been told rests 
in my library.

Sharing to the Friday 55 this morning. Wishing everyone a cozy day and a good book (and coffee or cocoa or tea). I'm going to be shoring up the book fort because fireworks started in our neighborhood last night and I have a feeling Arthur is going to need a good place to hide. 

-- Chrissa

4 comments:

  1. Killer whale of a poem! I love driving and downshifting to holiday. Your emergency ax that rests in your library is an amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love tundra image and downshifting ... for sure you would! Another gem from Chrissa .... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a subtle and shifting wordscape that layers its metaphors like holiday frosting, if someone had left the sugar out. Sometimes without that axe I'd be lost. Thanks for bringing this to the holiday table, and have a kickass weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the thoughts that flow through this Chrissa! I hope Arthur feels safer in the book fort. Those fireworks are so scary for dogs and disruptive for many of us! Merry Christmas and hoping for a peaceful and lovely 2021!

    ReplyDelete