Wednesday, December 2, 2020

And Now, A Little December Interlude

 So, we've arrived at the  post-Thanksgiving doldrums. In addition to not knowing what day of the week it was (it's Wednesday, as my mom pointed out when I wished her a happy Monday this morning), the post-project crash I fail to anticipate every NaNo has come. This means it's time to think about next year and put some goals in place. 

First goal:  First Friday posting -- the first Friday of each month I'll create a post about what I've read, written, and edited the previous month. Hoping that this provides momentum to keep working on projects in a way NaNoWriMo encourages working on a draft. 

Second goal: Impromptu -- finishing this poetry compilation the associated essays. This will be limited to poems written during 2020 and the goal is to have between two and three short essays regarding how these came about.

Third goal: Ibis, Buzzard, Mockingbird, Dragon -- This is a short story fable that I want to finish revising during the month of December. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it'll be in some final form by 2021.

Fourth goal: Yeah, this is where I pretend that I'm going to finish that hot mess of a NaNo project at some point. Two books, four stories; variations on the theme of seasons of quarantine. 

And now, let's return to our regularly scheduled poetry program...


DECEMBER

Here the year goes to concrete clouds and leggings,
sweaters and the preparations for a turn, wobbling,
before it rolls away. I was born there,
in the shadow of that revolution or the falling arch
and it stills its spin just before Christmas, like a child
leaning against the plummet of a swing.
The year ends here in a wingless flight, toes pointed,
waiting on gravity, on time, on tomorrow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment