Saturday, December 28, 2019

We Are The Pocketwatches



Lemons are growing where the bunnies have been
In the black hole corner of the yard where the dragons crept
Through the fence, then around the cypress trunk,
Then dug the pool – now slumbering beneath it, waiting for the days
Inscribed on the plaster to imprint themselves into the dirt.
There are treasures with ideograms rising sharp
From the undersurfaces, a bowl of moments thick as years
The dragons lick them, dream in flavors of language
While here, the clock spins down, skips seconds
Snags a string in the orchestra’s viola section, a sick twist of time
Dizzy on the tuning.
Sour and then salty and then there’s the oil, the polishing
Cleaning the days from her screens, dusting the seconds from their fingers
All of it falling into the sun, pouring into the root vats below—
Where the rabbits might have gone, quick as myth under the tongue
Once upon a platter, once upon a picnic basket, once upon
An afternoon, plastic tablecloths shredding around the tape
Wind from the shore falling exhausted upon the lowlands onto
Slumbering dragons underneath the buffet table
Constantly smoking the treasure, constantly devouring
Their cotton-tailed dreams.


Sharing with The Sunday Musewho kindly provided the image...this probably should have made me think of the upcoming year...but 2020 is low-key terrifying me and I'd rather think about lemon trees and rabbits and swimming pools and whether or not it's too damp to go to the park (no, but I've left it till too late in the afternoon) and iced tea...because it's Texas and the cool front won't be here until tomorrow and if I can just hold all of this in my head (along with the adventure story I was brainstorming earlier) those dragons might stay sleeping. At least for a little while. 

-- Chrissa

7 comments:

  1. This definitely has an Alice in Wonderland feel to it. The weather and times certainly are as wacky as a magical story like it is. Love this Chrissa! You took me on a wild journey that I think I needed to go on. Happy New Year my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, girl. "Quick as myth under the tongue" Love that, and I love the structure which feels a little like an uneasy dream sequence, to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let sleeping dragons lie. Very thought provoking and deep. Each time I read it I get some more. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mystical and magical. You had my head spinning at this part. I feel like I entered a portal to another place.

    The dragons lick them, dream in flavors of language
    While here, the clock spins down, skips seconds
    Snags a string in the orchestra’s viola section, a sick twist of time

    ReplyDelete
  5. "a bowl of moments thick as years"

    A wonderland of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "There are treasures with ideograms rising sharp From the undersurfaces, a bowl of moments thick as years" Oh I love that. This has that mind wander, Alice feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete