Monday, July 8, 2019

Away from Home


She lies down, underneath the desk, curled around the chair, back to the warmth of the computer, face to the fan. My feet are perched on top of the box--where they shouldn't be, also resting on the warmth of the box. We're within arms-length, easy to check on each for snacks or a soft scratch. And so I'm home and away at once, online and inside myself, writing flitting like dragonflies beside a railroad track. Phrases catch the light despite the rush of what happened everywhere over the past weeks. What might happen next November, next Friday.

She's sleeping quiet. Varda doesn't snore, just whines through running dreams. And I'm wandering further afield because I've turned on the music instead of the current run of podcasts. I'm back in high school, back on the Lake Jackson sidewalks, back on a trip in my grandparents' van, back in the shock of a different music store, looking at a stack of the stuff we didn't get as frequently or easily in Lake Jackson. Briefly, I'm back where bookstores and classrooms seemed like waiting for a ride on those tracks, the one that go somewhere else, through cities and apartments. They carry explosions and ideas.

Those tracks once spared my Dad, carrying a runaway reaction away from him, letting him pass into one of those big coastal plants safely. Or maybe that's just a rumor. Maybe the only thing that ever moves are commodities. We run in our dreams and stuff travels.

9 comments:

  1. This feels like a very accurate description of my days too--mentally flying off to music and words, and coming back to earth to play with my pupper. I'm intrigued at the story you hinted within the story, the one about your dad. Explosions in the mind can rock worlds, but they're generally less damaging than actual explosions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The closing sentence made me sigh. It feels good to land on that conclusion, after seeing the stationary travels of narrator and companion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - the being present and away online at the same time. I am at home most of my time, and love the connecting with the wider world that online provides. I love that your dog lies at your feet, close enough for a comforting scratch when those dreams make her whine. Glad your dad was spared also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of memories here. I like the way you have reflected, and, yes, stuff travels. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I luv this podcast kind of storytelling. Cyber space allows us to be at home and far away at the same time. Amazing.
    Have a good week

    Much🕊❤🕊love

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautifully poignant!💖 The closing image drew a deep sigh from me 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is what a good day is made of, music from your fave tracks, your dog at your side, and letting the memories pull you into a dream.
    superb writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mind goes so many directions in a day. Some days I can stay on track, some days I take every detour. Love your last line.

    ReplyDelete