Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Asphalt and Time

Sitting close enough to the night that it whines
Just in the mouth of my ear canal;
Starlight streaming through the twilight in the hum
Like oil in the water, soothing ripples
Covering up the restless heat lapping at my arms
Sunburn like streetlights, a felt illumination, memory.
Night will leave its bites to rise among the burn--
My skin swelling and crinkling like the roadbed
Universes and days and hugs have traveled.

Sharing with The Sunday Muse for The Wednesday Muse: Night Sounds. Today was the day I decided to get back on the horse, as it were, with my writing. Merlin and I spent part of the morning out on the back porch (thank you, mid-summer cool front!!!!!) and he's sleeping on the tiles behind me, now. He came with me on this morning's bagel run, proving that he understands the concept of drive-thru pretty well and is a fan of windows through which people hand you food. As am I, I suppose. Here he is, enjoying the morning, belly full of croissant (not a whole one, just a bit of one). Thanks for being patient as I edge back from last week.

-- Chrissa

5 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous Chrissa! I love every line but especially "Starlight streaming through the twilight in the hum
    Like oil in the water, soothing ripple"s". I am so glad to see you back here writing! You are so talented and writing can be therapeutic during a loss. Again I am so sorry for your loss of Varda. I know that has to be so very hard. I so love the photo you shared of Merlin! He is adorable! I always enjoy his pics on FB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just...well, it made my heart turn over in that bittersweet way.

    Hi Merlin, you little cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment has vanished from this poem. First of all, I love Merlin! This made my heart clinch. S[ many beautiful lines in this. Night will leave its bites to rise among the burn--wow. That is an epic lonee
    Mll

    ReplyDelete
  4. streaming nature ... not Netflix! :)

    ReplyDelete