Friday, April 19, 2019

Easter

With the scent of spring onions,
With the pastel flash of chocolate eggs,
Comes the memory of a small church
One Easter, decades ago, with just my grandmother.
A pale Easter dress, my vacation restlessness,
Dew on the duplex yard, damp tights
A mother who insisted her daughter share
Her basket of candy (which vanished during the service,
Like a rabbit among the pews).

Spring is born in the hairdressers, on tomato vines,
In the fur of a glass-eyed rabbit, a kitten purse.
Trellis inside the church, trellis wallpaper at the salon,
Trellis in the backyard
Training the vine of memories:
The generous girl
The disappearing candy
My grandmother
Born again and again
In the smell of spring onions.

14 comments:

  1. It's comforting to smell a familiar scent and associate it with someone we love. Wonderful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sweet little detail of this, each of them as colorful as an egg in an Easter basket. It's been a long time since I've been in a church or celebrated Easter, but I was brought back to my childhood too when I read this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful!💞 I love the intricate details woven here especially; "Trellis in the backyard/Training the vine of memories."💞

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the image of the basket disappearing like a rabbit and the trellis of memories. There is a bit of a rabbit hole here

    ReplyDelete
  5. This took me back to my childhood, with my grandma, a dress to go to church in on Easter Sunday, chocolate rabbits, the smell of her flower garden, people gathering for a meal later. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your use of the phrase "Born again and again / In the Smell of spring onions." For it reminds us that spirit and memory dance so well together. That for as long as we can remember--and honor tradition--we'll never truly lose anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I really love how you tied the memories back to the scent of spring onion...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luv the rebirth of memory in your poem. Powerful
    Happy Easter Chrissa

    Much❣love

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful evocation tied to the scent of spring onions. Love it! This piece has such an authentic quality to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading your Easter memories. And I appreciate that whenever you smell spring onions you think of your grandmother. Very touching poem today, Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is funny we keep these childhood memories with us. No doubt the brain filing them in the box "To be recalled later"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome written reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful memories! (Even if the results of the forced generosity still rankle.) The telling brought it all to life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our traditions are important. They define us. Lovely nostalgia trip.

    ReplyDelete