Sunday, March 3, 2019

Field of Discards


You knew the city would kill you.
What it wants you to know or to steal it provides
Where pigeons cultivate the fields of discards.
What does it need of a raven?

I have overflown it, drenched it, wash it, breathed
With all the rage of the ocean swallowing forests' deaths,
Choking on the bones of myths, overflowing--
Recreating each upside down as knives
Glinting toward its heart in the rain
Shivered from my wings
From my bones.

The last surviving story.

I cannot cleanse the imprint of your feathers
From its streets, scrawled in exhaust and tar
Even with an ocean's fury or sadness.

You knew the city would kill you.
Knowledge chokes you every time.

Sharing with The Sunday Muse.

It's been a grey week here just north of Houston and every day it seems I go out walking wearing sleeves a bit too short for the maybe winter weather. Anyway. It's wild strawberry season here so spring is here, even if my sweater is back at the house.

 Hope everyone is having a good week!

-- chrissa

11 comments:

  1. Some super lines here, I think:

    "Choking on the bones of myths"

    "I cannot cleanse the imprint of your feathers!"
    Makes a good read . . . nicely done . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Choking on the bones of myth”

    What an image that creates! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intensely sad yet utterly beautiful! This is amazing writing Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You knew the city would kill you"
    This resonates with me. If you are used to country life, city life is great for a contrast and all it has to offer but not for long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not link to the Sunday links this weekend; still i invite you to drop by
    THEN MOON SMILED: a haiku fiction sequence

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes we know the ills of city life yet we stay. I grew up in an area then country now urban. I live in the city outskirts, but I don't want to go back to country living. Interludes yes

    Luv your poetic response to the image

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful writing, Chrissa as always. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the line "I cannot cleanse the imprint of your feathers" it brings so many things to my mind. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first line hit me like a truck of truth. It made me think of my time living in Upstate New York, where crows are considered a problem (a pest) by the city. I always wonder if the birds would be a little quiet if they knew their lives were always on the line.

    You've shared such powerful images and delicious lines--"Choking on the bones of myth"--reading this is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy your work so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely. I often seem to be under dressed for cold weather.

    ReplyDelete