Monday, September 24, 2018

October TBR

I'm spending part of today getting ready for a cooler, spookier reading list for the month of October and thought I'd share it here with you. October begins our writer's group's transition from our temporary library space at a local college to Starbucks while we wait for our community library to be rebuilt and so my TBR (to be read) list consists of books pulled from my shelves. Most of these are from my local Half Price Books (yea! HPB!) with a few new-ish titles. I'm not much of a thriller/horror reader, so this is a pretty relaxed Halloween TBR. If you have any good eerie/atmospheric suggestions, I'm always up for a new spooky favorite.

Even thought it's not on this list, I've fallen for Practical Magic and I'll probably try to read it around the 31st...preferably in costume and with something chocolate and steaming or caffeinated and iced...it's coastal Texas, there's not a great chance for a chilly Halloween...but there is always a good chance for cozy reading.

Chrissa's October TBR

  1. Autumn, by Ali Smith -- Travel via book:  this takes place in England and I'm trying not to have sky-high expectations; I've had good experiences in the past with Ali Smith's books. From the library. :( 
  2. Boyfriend from Hell, by Jamie Quaid -- This has been on my shelf for longer than I'd like and, well, urban fantasy always feels a little like Halloween, doesn't it?
  3. Death and the Librarian, by Esther Friesner -- OMG, I'm overdoing the library theme, aren't I?!
  4. Night Owls, by Lauren M. Roy -- Vampires and college bookstores. Sounds about right.
  5. Feast of All Souls, by Simon Bestwick -- Haunted house!! Almost as good as a ghost story. :)
  6. The Girl in the Green Silk Gown, by Seanan McGuire -- Urban legend and ghost story in one. Perfect. This is the second book in this series and McGuire has a gift for narrative voice. 
  7. The Halloween Tree, by Ray Bradbury -- Seasonal classic I've never read.
  8. The Priestess & the Pen, by Sonja Sadovsky -- Nonfiction about women writers. I thought it might be nice to have something solid in amongst the shadows, as it were.
  9. The Secret History, by Donna Tartt -- I am a sucker for creepy books set on college campuses and I've been wondering what I will make of Donna Tartt's writing as I've heard lots of positive things but haven't yet read her.
  10. The Spawn of Lilith, by Dana Fredsti -- Creature-feature urban fantasy about Hollywood
That's the lot. I don't expect to get through every single one, but I'm hoping to make a good effort at most before November and NaNo crowds out my reading space for a month. If you have a particular favorite Halloween read, let me know. I love finding new reading traditions during the year. :) 

Hope the words this week come clear and bright, whether in the reading or the writing!

-- Chrissa

No comments:

Post a Comment