Sunday, September 30, 2018

Heroes


He told us it was lion's fur, cut from Hercules' wrap,
Then lift us, one by one, to the golden cushions:
I would stroke the chair arms and pet it like a cat.

Every summer we would beg to visit him--
My bachelor uncle whose polished townhome
Concealed a mythic garden, gated, dim.

Rimmed with shaded, dark, damp stone
Dredged, he said, from the Styx itself, when
Those chill waters widened at the fall of Rome.

His pavers were from Oz and his decorative glass
Was emerald shaved so thin that sunbeams sliced
Themselves into shafts stored behind the hydrangeas.

He was a hero--and I believed in his swords
Crossed at the back, above a trickling fountain
Had cleft monsters, until he broke that world.

He told us it was girls' fault unicorns were dead
That no virgins then were left to care for them
Did I know boyfriends killed many a princess's pet?

He told of the princes who, finding horns, cried
And my cousin punched me hard in the arm
For all the magic and the beasts who died.

For any uncles unintentionally slandered, forgive me. I mean no disrespect and based this on no uncle of mine. It was, shall we say, inspired more by the family politic than the family personal. Sharing with The Sunday Muse and Poets United.

-- Chrissa

15 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this very much.

    This is my favorite:

    "emerald shaved so thin that sunbeams sliced
    Themselves into shafts stored behind the hydrangeas."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, such a mighty magical world to "break," thick with illusion and story! "His pavers were from Oz and his decorative glass
    Was emerald shaved so thin that sunbeams sliced
    Themselves into shafts stored behind the hydrangeas."
    Especially to break it by faulting women's loss of virginity, by faulting boyfriends and the intense reality of betrayal. Ouch on the punch, on the severed horn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He sounds like quite an uncle - whether in truth or imagination. I bet a lot of people would enjoy a visit to his mythic garden! Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I got some nice uncle too
    Thanks for dropping by my sumi-e Sunday today Chrissa

    much love..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may be (somewhat) fictional, but it's a great story with a nicely oblique moral lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your fictional fantasy story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A wonderful, layered story that cascades to an awesome ending. A pleasure to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hurt for the lion whose fur lined the chair, but that house would be an enchanted land to children, for sure. I loved this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the illusion of grandeur when broken pricks like this poem. I love how you created this fantasy from a child's perspective and how the moment of rapture turned out to be the subtle misogyny prevalent everywhere from myths and legends to family histories.
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is such a lovely write!💜

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an imaginative piece, all built around a chair!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is magical Chrissa! I love your imagination!

    ReplyDelete