Sunday, August 26, 2018

Didn't I Tell You?


When they cut the scrub down to build those houses
They evicted my soul, although the dying plant on our porch
Which I had just watered, gave it shelter and a drink
While it waited for me.

When I left the house to go to work, it flew
Straight to look in the eye and tell me I was released.
Soulless, soon to be. I must have put a hand
To my mouth in shock.

When I lifted my hand, my soul settled, briefly,
On my fingers. It sang for me. It accepted a single kiss...
Although it didn't fly back into my body or linger
On my knuckles.

When it flew from me into in the sunlight
Over the pine trees, into the thinness of that smudge
Of trees that marked our neighborhood's built edge
I watched; wept.

I was late to work today because a bird--
Because my soul--has left me
For another forest.

This post is being shared with Poets United and The Sunday Muse. Also, if anyone has advice for not being overwhelmed by writing projects (currently working on compiling some existing poetry), it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and hope your week is creative & reasonably warm & dry. :) 

-- Chrissa

14 comments:

  1. My word, this is stunning. This is my favorite image:

    "although the dying plant on our porch
    Which I had just watered, gave it shelter and a drink
    While it waited for me"

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soul perching on your fingers for a single kiss, then flying to another forest is such an arresting image. This is a wonderful poem, with unexpected and very original imagery. Loved it. Bravo on the compiling. Keep going, a poem at a time. When you hold that book in your hands it will be soooooo satisfying! I have self-published a nice little shelf full and am so happy that I took the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luv the image of plant as friend a-waiting

    Happy Sunday thanks for dropping by my blog today Chrissa

    Much🌻love

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the bittersweet whimsy of this piece. I've felt a similar sadness when the local home owners association decided out of nowhere to cut down some perfectly healthy trees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really an intriguing poem. Ends with the sad thought of one's soul leaving for another forest. I do hope it returns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. I truly wouldn't mind if my soul left for another forest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Love that ending! Soul as a bird left for another forest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bitter-sweet and layered piece with a poignant close.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The line breaks work so wonderfully, especially a the end... I could hear the sobs, feel the pain of the loss.

    Hm... how not to be overwhelmed by writing projects... I have no idea. I think there is always a bit of madness (and panic) when we are putting a collection together. I just try to take a break or three when the worst of it hits. Also, conversations with a writing buddy might help keep you sane (it words for me... most of the time, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderfully bittersweet.. I can visualise the soul leaving in search for another forest💜

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice, I enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous Chrissa! I love it, and the ending is breathtaking! I think the picture spoke soul to us both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand perfectly! Thank you for putting it into words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this pierces right into my heart. I understand. I have watched wildlife habitat shrink here. The little piece of woods behind my house has become a home for many, and yet so many leave.

    ReplyDelete