Sunday, August 19, 2018

Shedding Seeds

Someone joked about the seeds drifting
All across campus, sororal June blooms...
All the daisies must have opened up at once.
It's the same line, different girls this year.
I'd rather be an orchid, some strange flower
Like eyes in the Spanish moss--
Let me tell you what I'd see, dangling
Just off the quadrangle, blinded
By the dedication on the metal bench
Rain spatter afterthoughts
Grey heaven, uncombed
Sunset storm highlights
God's roots like neon...
Silent walkers, day in their bags
Unfledged myths on their tongues
Adjusting the wires, casting a song
Over the heartbeat cracked out of the sky.
I'll dream of angels sweating at a stage,
Texting a flame to heaven
Which will open up, all at once
On the same chord in all of us.

Cross-posting with The Sunday Muse and Poets United. Hoping that this week brings more good news than otherwise...maybe a little rain to break the heat. 

-- Chrissa

12 comments:

  1. I think daisies are cheerful - maybe not as exotic as orchids, but more approachable. Smiles. I so admire "casting a song / Over the heartbeat cracked out of the sky." Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All God's flowers are beautiful and you have brought a certain loveliness to the heat of summer! Gorgeous writing as always Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daisies are special, I love to see them speckling the grass. I especially loved the lines:
    'Rain spatter afterthoughts
    Grey heaven, uncombed'
    and
    'Silent walkers, day in their bags
    Unfledged myths on their tongues
    Adjusting the wires, casting a song
    Over the heartbeat cracked out of the sky'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved, rain spatter afterthoughts. Enjoyed this very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very deft ending, but my favorite part is still the unfledged myths on the tongues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the scene, the words, the thoughts. I love the idea of angels texting a flame to heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luv how you have made the eagar seekers of knowledege into a community of sameness. And yes Gods heavenly rain is an important input for blossoming

    Thanks for dropping by my Sunday Standard today Crissa

    Much🌼love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some stunning - and intriguing - images in this wonderfully rendered piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this especially: "I'd rather be an orchid, some strange flower/Like eyes in the Spanish moss." 💜

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a reverie is always beautiful to experience and share. I loved this bit: "I'll dream of angels sweating at a stage,/Texting a flame to heaven
    Which will open up, all at once".
    -HA

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sunset storm highlights
    God's roots like neon...

    Unfledged myths on their tongues

    I particularly like these lines, and the one about eyes in Spanish moss .... these paint interesting contrasts, ideas ... in what is, rather obviously, more of the same, year after year, as depicted in this poem.

    there are some startling ideas and images being created in this piece ... fascinating write

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous, arresting view you give us!

    ReplyDelete