Sunday, April 22, 2018

The Dreaming Hill


Year round, we keep Christmas lights burning in the fireplace.
Today those Fruity Pebble lights sweeten shadows as I stand
Waiting for the morning birds to scratch echoes in the chimney
Against last night's dreams of the past as a mirrored boutique
Filled with knick-knacks I can't afford.

I want to unholster my nursery school water pistol, watermelon
Pink--sling a bandolier of bubble wands across my body,
March into the backyard and retake myself from those fairies
Who are pricing me translucent, empty as the bubbles and the gun,
Hollow of yesterday, unlit.

A perfect, possessable hill they want, blood-stained glass dreams
Outside of which the birds, Wisdom, Gossip, and responsibility,
Peck along the sills where I have been. I have been sold
In the goblin stands that look like antique malls on summer roads
To hagglers with sharper dreams.

This is being posted for Poets United Poetry Pantry #400 and for The Sunday Muse The Muse #3. The image is posted at The Sunday Muse and is far, far too representative (substitute a dog for a cat and a hammock for the couch) for the way I intend to spend this lovely afternoon. Wishing everyone a similarly relaxed Sunday.

-- chrissa

8 comments:

  1. Oh Chrissa I was smiling at your opening lines...'Fruity Pebble light'.....thoroughly enjoyable piece....as enjoyable as my Sunday of gardening and reading poetry.

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissa, I love your poem and am intrigued by your writing style. You have a voice all your own. Lovely to meet you here in the Pantry. I hope you keep coming back. I want to read more. And I envy you your dog(s). I am living without one, due to housing restrictions, for the first time and it is a lot lonelier. I borrow dogs, but it isnt the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I will make sure to give them an extra hug today :)

      Delete
  3. retake myself from those fairies
    Who are pricing me translucent,
    I have been sold... to hagglers with sharper dreams..

    Superb lines.. enjoyed your poem Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rich and fascinating piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry is so right...you have a voice all your own...and it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dreamy/surreal feel of the piece. It's like looking into her dream, while she narrates her living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooo...that would make for a cool short piece

      Delete