Wednesday, April 11, 2018

She Told Me

She told me about the woman
Who thought beans on the vine were free
Who took what she needed from the vine
Everyone had planted, watered, weeded, fed.

She mentions her sometimes
When HGTV murmurs and I'm at the backdoor
Pointing out those five tomato plants
The dogs & mockingbirds ravaged.

She remembers the fields, the family;
Some of them on the couch, some,
Like the birds, have swept by,
Brief shadows on warm skin.

Raise me up like a vine with the sunlight,
Fly me by like a thief on the wing,
Drop me like a prayer on the good soil,
Lift me into the long summer green.

----

The above was written during tonight's WordCrafters prompt exercise in response to the painting The Angelus.

10 comments:

  1. So many wonderful lines in this C...my favorite is the last stanza! A wonderful response to the picture indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem, like the painting, has a quality of timelessness – the universal in the particular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, especially the uplifting closing stanza. Love that long summer green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it all over again on second reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent.. love "Brief shadows on warm skin"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah - the long summer green! Wonderful conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leaves me wondering what happened to the woman, why she thought what she did, what was done with her...

    ReplyDelete