Sunday, April 5, 2020

Wisteria, Weeds, and Roses

Photography by Anatasiya Dobrovolskaya click HERE for Website

They bloom in the order of seasons
Wisteria, Weeds, and Roses
Drawing all the small things
Bees, Lizards, and Sparrows
Spread the fields with fire and fruit

Wisteria are bees' vintage
 weaving  the woods' communion

Weeds are quick, thorough--
Mythic and common song

Rose leans close, 
stroking the house, blocking the gate

If the question is Should you run?
A better one is
To where?

Sharing with Poets and Storytellers United and thanks to The Sunday Muse for the photo inspiration (above). As a side note, just as I'm becoming overwhelmed with the bad-but-nebulous-everything-is-wrong, Arthur steps in to remind me that there are those close at hand (puppies with nervous stomachs, for instance) who need my focus. It doesn't help, necessarily...but after cleaning up the floor and making sure he's okay (seriously, does anyone know how to settle border collie stomachs?), I'm at least confident that specific areas are sanitized. And that one minor emergency has passed. (Do foxes have nervous stomachs? They kind of levitate like collies.) I know we're all waiting for the world to return. 


Additional side note:  We don't have sheep. We have a tiny backyard in suburban Texas...so the closest we come are squirrels, stray cats, and the occasional large moth. The chihuahuas next door. (Arthur would love to start his own chihuahua circus. If I ever write a children's book...)

Hope this finds everyone well and sorted and safe. 

-- Chrissa


22 comments:

  1. From the title to the closing question I love this journey of nature and all the good and bad it holds. I hope Arthur is feeling better and the vision of a Chihuahua circus will light up the rest of my day Chrissa! Thank you my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "To where", indeed...

    And if you (and Arthur) ever write/start that chihuahua circus, I would love to attend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have a dog with a nervous stomach, and he would have me believe that the remedy is more cookies. I love your title and the paths it takes us down, both in your words and the visions your whole work inspires.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pointless running. Just immerse yourself in it. Great words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you decided to 'keep on keeping on' ... I would miss your poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sister has a border collie....I am sure you have tried various brands of dog food to find one that works for her stomach better? My Jasmine had that problem, I found only one brand that she could tolerate. Normally there is a direct connection between what goes in and what comes out, lol. I envy you your lovely critter. I miss living with dogs more than I can say. And loved your poem, too, lovely to contemplate wisteria, weeds and roses all together. Like life. (Anyway I have a fondness for weeds. Smiles.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love everything from the title to poem. So glad your muse spoke to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very bewitching! Like a spell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "They bloom in the order of the seasons . . . " They do, and I see now the humans could be standing in for the plants and the bees, lizards and sparrows. You've greatly expanded this picture for me. Interesting how that last verse raises the scene into the realm of mythic horror. It's always the one with thorns that blocks the gate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last question is a chiller, especially as I contemplate the answers brought up by my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed the poem and good question at the end

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your poem was an enjoyable read. This solitude is getting a bit wearying for us all --- but it beats the alternative at the moment. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So where would we run, unless it is running for running's sake. We have promised to be Day Sitters for our kid's Beagle if they get one. Our Adi Beagle dog died in 2012 and we have not replaced her. She and I were a registered Pet Therapy team.
    We have rabbits and birds in our Houston Suburban backyard. It was landscaped when we moved in and we have kept it up since.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful writing and, as always, I so enjoy your conversational backstory, Chrissa. But, oh yes: unlike those lucky critters, that wait 'for the world to return' is very, very hard on us mere mortals.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is strong writing, Chrissa! The closing line really did it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luv the end question to where?
    Especially while we are hemmed in

    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today

    Much💗love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, you must give it to the weeds they are a determined bunch but sure have got guts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the ending sounds a little chilly. reminds me of the song 'Hotel California', "you can check out any time you like but you can never leave."
    lovely imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No place to run. Just face them, welcome them, and disarm them with charm!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really enjoyed reading this, Chrissa. Where to run indeed.

    ReplyDelete