Sunday, January 27, 2019

When the Bones

When the delicate bones began to fall from the sky
Scientists said they were fish bones,
Though not from local fish...
Shaped like old TV antennae, they were size of your palm,
Falling across the world, though seldom
Into the ocean.

When the paper birds burst from tree trunks
Like blank souls swirling upward
So thickly that older people remembered descriptions
From history books about abundance,
Scientists again reassured us
Birds they were.

For some, it seemed as if we were being asked to speak
They reached out, risking sliced hands and arms
But most fell into a shocked silence
Words and images sheared
From their bones
And souls.

Sharing with Poets United and The Sunday Muse. Many thanks to Carrie for the image that (along with James and back road drives to random gaming stores) gives me an excuse to carve out time each week for writing poetry.
--Chrissa

20 comments:

  1. Interesting and surreal.....i especially like the image of the paper birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry is right, there is a feeling of the surreal....I enjoyed reading our poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me think of some of Murakami's writing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderfully dark and hypnagogic. I was especially drawn to; "When the paper birds burst from tree trunks/Like blank souls swirling upward." Exquisite write!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissa, I am in love with this. Not just with the wondrous imagery and the delicious surreal tone, but with the world you've built in these stanzas. I hope, I hope, I hope! you turn this into a longer piece (maybe a short story or a novel *I'm very greedy*). It would be fantastic to read about how the world started and where it is going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An imaginative write, Chrissa. Kind of gave me a few goosebumps though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well this is a beautiful curve ball, Chrissa! I love the delicate bones falling from the sky ‘Shaped like old TV antennae’ and the paper birds bursting from tree trunks ‘Like blank souls swirling upward’, and the way they echo in the final lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last stanza is really chilling...words and images sheared from one's bones. Yikes. Another evocative piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words sheared from bones. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A surreal scene, you painted Chrissa. Happy SUnday. thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today. and YES you can send today's sumie to your parents

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully paired with the prompt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully visual. The nuances of your images are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very surreal. You had me at abundance

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing feat of imagination and poetics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read and re-read this piece, in love with the delicate yet ominous imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is like a captivating story Chrissa, that I would love to hear a continuation on. This is so creative and imaginative. I want more. So glad that the muse which you are very much a part of it's creation, is giving you inspiration. I do love your poetry Chrissa!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love how your poem pairs with the image, beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is darkly creative. I love where you went with this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You paint a dark, almost apocalyptic scene. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved it ~ had to read it three times . . :)

    ReplyDelete