Saturday, April 17, 2021

My Obsession, Like a Laser

 For the Sunday Muse #156:


Bring me...what did I need?
Bring me the brief flash from the side
of the obelisk.

Catch it like a butterfly
Between your palms, gently, when
all wisdom fades...

I see the scales, there,
Staining your grip, like ink, like
desire--mine, for this.

It stains my head, breaks
My connection to the divine glass
and all the gods.

I will raze this city
With their corneas.

He tells me these are contact lenses carved from divine eyeballs--and I've known he wanted to destroy this entire shelf. Every model and figure, every book and frame. He keeps telling me that we can't see these ideas, so baldly reified, as if our dreams were toys and our hearts acrylic boxes. He urges me to destroy them, to abjure them to ash and black plastic coffins. Your mind is the trash bin, he warns. Full of old futures long grown impossible. Let me...just let me in your room and I'll help you remember more cleanly. 

It's been one of those weeks--just grey and chilly and not all that conducive to...stuff. It's a week in which having something to say seems impossible and pointless and only for the well-coifed and chatty-- probably the standard ennui for this stage in drafting. It's also perfectly normal to want to stomp like Godzilla around Texas, wearing a mask that's only partially flame-retardant. It's been a weird week. 

-- Chrissa


13 comments:

  1. I liked how you worked the hands into it and not just the eye-pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Chrissa, on it being a dark-themed mood and output for me. You went all out with scorched earth and if you can't get it out through writing, where can you.
    Li/Lisa/JadeLi at tao-talk

    ReplyDelete
  3. The third stanza is stunning and brilliant like the light from a camera flash! From the poetry to the prose, this is haunting and captivating. I don't know how you do it but you put me in awe every time with your poetry Chrissa!! It certainly has been a week for sure! I can hardly listen to the news anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! Lots of cool stuff in this. "I will raze this city / With their corneas." - So good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissa, I sooo want to say the passe, "Far out!!!" "stains my head, breaks My connection" sounds like really bad news!!
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing writing Chrissa.
    Stay safe and creative

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a week - but something like this can come from a grey, chilly, poopy week - well, I'd take a week like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes a week brings out art you don't expect. Love this powerful, visual piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "It stains my head" - excellent and point on! This has a surreal feel throughout that fits with the image. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing ekphrastic interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chrissa, you have a style so uniquely YOU .... it's a spellbinding, deeply moving style ... your Muse poem is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I will raze this city/with their corneas"

    You are a truly unique poet, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete