Saturday, February 27, 2021

Tightness

Sharing with The Sunday Muse


Dark runs with the imps, the river, and the ions
all together in the fall, over and over and down;
space expands. It was meant to be a hole
but there are crumbs in the empty.

Dark swerves from the backsplash of atoms
combining behind, above, right through--
every explosion reminds it of the light,
the tightness, then the shove away.

tl;dr: taking an extended break & good luck in the new year :)

Well. The yard is looking much less dead than I expected. Dandelions are super hearty, at least for freakish Texas weather. However, there are still several pots that didn't make it or need refurbishing and, as I look around the office, I feel the same way about so many of my projects from the last several years. They've been potted (in notebooks & on the computer) but, for (possibly freakish) reasons, they've failed to thrive. Maybe I've gone out and gotten too many adorable starts that are now leggy or crispy or sort of staring listlessly out a window wondering what happened.  Maybe that's just me. Only round instead of leggy.

Not unlike my backyard--or my crazy provisional Kindle list (reading the first few chapters of a random lot of books should count for something)--my writing has become starts, random notes, and what happened earlier in the day when _[insert noun here]___  pissed me off. Projects aren't thriving and neither am I. I'm not even sure what the question is--is it how to finish? Whether to finish? What new direction to pursue? After the storm, I know that the plants need a little extra care. Maybe then it'll be time for the stories.

Best wishes for your own projects!

-- Chrissa

13 comments:

  1. Strong Chrissa, and I like the powerful motion, and emotion incorporated in your piece. Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, nice!! I wasn't expecting a fall, THE FALL? I enjoyed the journey.
    An extended leave, I called it a Sabattical but then I still was writing.
    Our backyard is a mess too, the palm tree is supposed to be hardy, the one replaced three before in a freeze.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all wonder about how to recover from pandemic, storm, and political mayhem!! It's been a bit m uch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Crumbs in the empty"...that is a deep phrase my friend! Love this poem, and the thoughts that follow. I am glad your yard is looking more alive. Mine is still looking pretty bad. I am looking forward to seeing some art journaling from you. I loved the one you posted at Word Crafters!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Crumbs in the empty' feels like 'the upside down' in Stranger Things. An alternate dimension existing in parallel to the human world. Love this poem, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The purposeful pushing away of the light by the darkness sticks out here for me. Good luck and blessings on all of your projects.
    Li/Lisa @ tao-talk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent punch with your end words! The implications - ions down the empty hole while atoms push the light away - energy sucked out and light shunned. Spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2020 AND Texas weather. Bless you, my child!

    Powerfully written. You've taken the darkness for your palette and worked an image of your bruise. Keep writing until healing comes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of starts, potted ideas. Cultivation is time consuming i think. Take your time

    Happy Sunday

    Muchđź’—love

    ReplyDelete
  10. "It was meant to be a hole
    but there are crumbs in the empty." I super like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "crumbs in the empty" Oh, I feel that one. It's hard to know where to go with the feelings and lack of freedom with this pandemic mess.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "It was meant to be a hole
    but there are crumbs in the empty." That says a great deal, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete