Saturday, February 13, 2021

One of the Wonders

 



A candle and a thin sliver of slate
through which I can see the sky like a herd of wild horses
all blue backs and tangled manes of white, pink, champagne
behind hills of rock too thick to dream through.

I have blown chalk upon the slate and let it lie
for centuries or tuns or aeons...
Until you came along with your candle,
setting it behind the thin sliver of stone,
already imagining the earth as a great, hollow thing,
a giant now filled with you and everyone else.

Imagine that giant with two great candles
set behind the thin stone that flaked
from the bones of the sky, which was a giant
so large, 
the earth couldn't imagine how small
it was--

X-raying giants with only candles and art. 

Hello and welcome to another poetry blog inspired by the lovely Carrie at The Sunday Muse. We are prepping for what my phone insists is a Winter Storm heading our way, which has already consisted of bringing several pots in and lining them up on the kitchen table:
Which, yes, I know there are weeds among the plants and most of the pots haven't been prepared for spring but that's okay. Also, there's an onion that James handed me a few days ago with question "It's sprouting, do you want to plant it?" Sure, fine, at some point. Meanwhile, welcome to the table garden. Honestly, I've wanted a solarium for years because I hate schlepping water in the heat of the summer (when everything develops a suspicious wilt around 11 am--there is NO SHADE in this neighborhood) and I'm not complaining about a table full of plants. 

And, not to be overshadowed by a mere bagatelle of ice and snow (SNOW!!!! I am stupidly excited for the possibility of it), it's also Valentine's Day this Sunday:

Hope your week is warm in all the important ways and your muse is, like Tom Bodett, keeping the light on for you. 

-- Chrissa 




12 comments:

  1. Love your photo of all your plants on the table...worthy of a poem methinks.Hope the storm is not too fierce. Stay safe.X raying giants with only candles and art is very resourceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "rock too thick to dream through."

    Have Arthur or Merlin ever seen snow? My guess is, if it comes, Arthur will be amazed and ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at a candle and a thin sliver of slate. This is breathtaking gorgeous my friend from beginning to end!! I love your table of plants! You should be getting some good oxygen in your house for sure. Stay warm and safe my friend. I will probably check in with you on Tuesday to see how things are your way. I am hunkering down too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love "behind hills of rock too thick to dream through." Awesome! We got a most unusual DUMP of snow overnight. Quite astonishing for these parts where the most we ever usually get is a slight dusting maybe once a year. It is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Chrissa. A surreal interpretation of beautiful art. Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Large-ness and small-ness is an equation of self invading our pandemic spaces

    Happy Sunday
    (✿◠‿◠)

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love you images of slate and sky and hollow earth. This feels mythic. PS Happy to send you some snow from Wisconsin if yours doesn't materialize!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first verse is filled with imagery and really swept me away in it's wonder.

    I have plenty of snow here and would be happy to share a bit. Love all you plants. There are no outside plants here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lot of terrific lines here, but I agree with Shay: "rock too thick to dream through" is outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this Chrissa, the added information is right on. Our lights crashed three times in succession tonight and we were scrambling for flashlights. I knew where the kitchen one was but all was dark. I have a one cell light in my pocket now. All that knocked out the video recorder in our DirecTV receiver. No other surprises yet, we have white stuff between our house and the fence, ice on the patio. Oh yes we delivered a Valentine this evening, there was ice all over the car and not all doors would open. Defrosting worked, front, back, and side.
    ..
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the story here, and it is richly told.

    ReplyDelete