Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Restless Ocean

 


I was a dilatory landlord, the sea reassured us.

We were in Dillard's, were the glass doors still worked.
They didn't stop the water, but they stopped crabs
and other things that switched their spines
through the dark green waters.

I was a dilatory landlord; the whales sang 
Slow as the old globe turned and there was the embrace
of the moon to measure embraces;
beats like years to trace my heart on these shorelines,
to keep me bounded. But--
you killed the whales.
Scraped their song right out of the rind
of the land that was.

I cried to the moon to lift me up,
to pour me back through the song.
And I rolled through here. Once. Twice.
Third time and I'm standing here, watching this
dry shipwreck, this...mall...fill to floating.
Fill to sinking.

I'll let you go, you sing me back quiet again.

For Carrie's prompt "Abandoned,"  WordCrafters 10/14/2020

-- Chrissa

2 comments:

  1. the whales sang
    Slow as the old globe turned and there was the embrace
    of the moon to measure embraces;

    Wow just wow! Loved the horror imagery and hope the landlord remains dilatory and doesn't reclaim what is his

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many stunning lines! A dry shipwreck! Wow these lines are gripping and haunting and also gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete