Saturday, October 3, 2020

Necessary Horizon

 


There were never transmissions from the floating deepness.
Waves elongated, lost themselves in their own curves, mimicked
songs that were being sung, secrets that were being passed;
they dissipated through their own curiosity.

Receivers were hung off coasts and above the atmosphere;
elegant branching equations detached themselves from one hand
to settle in the cranial valleys of another seeker, grew new branches.
Still, the sounds never made it into our empty boxes.

It's easy to breathe all the way to the edges of your lungs,
to feel them fill and think about drifting upward or pushing,
gently, with a single toe and launching yourself, starfished,
into what your muscles assure you is a form of flight.

Only, your ears assure you, you've been deceived; the 
axis is there for a reason, the horizon for a necessary balance.
Mermaids are a myth, their song ultimately meets our deafness.
Sirens have always warned us of the lure of unspun space.

So, the flick of light in the night sky, like moonlight,
is all that remains of what angels were before feathers,
halos, and upright-on-two-legs, dry. That tilt, that fall into
knowledge, the lurch of the ground underfoot.

Sharing this week with The Sunday Muse, hosted by the awesome Carrie, and Poets and Storytellers United. Lately, I've been realizing two things--first, I shouldn't have tried to do a combination of Inktober and an American sentence a day. I can't draw and attempting to illustrate what I'm writing does weird things to my writer brain. It seemed like a good idea at the time... 

Second, poetry is becoming my laundry. I'm really happy to use it to avoid thinking about things that make me angry or the way living as if certain things exist in the real world makes me seem like the panicked alien among the locals. Do you see that giant fanged beast charging down the street? No, fine. Yes, we all step aside, but it's just a kind of cultural response to the Myth of the Fanged Beast. It totally wouldn't have eaten that guy if he'd just remembered today was the Day of the Fanged Beast, and, I don't know, stayed home if he couldn't swerve fast enough. You're fine. We're fine. Keep moving. 

All this to say--not sure if I trust my writing right now. 

-- Chrissa

20 comments:

  1. From that eloquent first line to unspun space, branching equations, the fall into knowledge and the list goes on...this is amazing poetry my friend! Life is a beautiful and chaotic experience, I feel that in this poem, deeply and beautifully! By the way, I love your inktober works. I find them creative and lovely! Wishing you a peaceful weekend Chrissa! 🦋

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I'm always firmly oriented myself, without the aid of an astrolabe and hand puppets. Onward through the fog, that's my motto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How would anyone make sense of the world without hand puppets? :)

      Delete
  3. "That tilt, that fall into
    knowledge, the lurch of the ground underfoot" -- perfect. The ground lurched under me and tilted as I read that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has the feel of an essay about it, wrapped in the shimmer of poetry, dense with ideas, moods and reactions. I particularly like the first and final stanzas, and the use of 'starfished' which all illuminate and bookend the message of alienation and awe nicely. I think you're safe trusting your muse, even if it occasionally leads you into "unspun space" with its lures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "So, the flick of light in the night sky, like moonlight,
    is all that remains of what angels were before feathers"

    My favourite lines. Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  6. May this light keeps shining and light our path always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many aspects to highlight but I think my favourite is '' ... unspun space ... '' did a double-take at that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow at tilt and fall in knowledge. I'm still thinking about axis being there for a reason and the horizon for a necessary balance. So much here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. do you think somehow all these radio noises, cell phone signals, FM radios, GPS etc etc, can impact our health? your poem makes me think about that.
    i liked what you said about "poetry is becoming my laundry". it's something we have to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, there are times I wish I could fill my lungs to capacity, touch off with a toe into ordered, silent, compassionate, loving space, free of politics, lies, violence, hate and discord. Yep, I'm going to check Amazon for one of those toes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's hard to be anchored to uncertain. I agree with hedgewitch it is an essay, a poem, an open eye to what we are experiencing in these days of Covid. We are inundated with electric signals as we try to survive the curve of a question mark. Beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. launching yourself, starfished - a Pisces swimming between reality and fantasy. I can relate to this well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Refusing to hear is as good as being deaf, no matter how loudly the mermaids may sing. Not much good comes of ignoring the siren in the room, or pretending the Fanged Beasts can be reasoned with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your idea of filling the lungs to capacity. At physicals they would ask me if for sure I had smoked those years before as mine were still way above normal capacity. The receivers that I am familiar are the foot ball player of receiver position in football and the radio, etc, as I am a Radio Ham. BTW, our Texans are getting trounced by a "used to be" team before Brady came.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow stunning I especially love "Waves elongated, lost themselves in their own curves" and "the lure of unspun space" and "that fall into
    knowledge" Fantastic writing

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's wonderful writing. I love the ideas, your unpredictable imagination (I love to be surprised), and the startling and beautiful phraseology.

    I think our writing is always, in every circumstance, the thing we can most trust – all the more so if it sometimes wells up in strange ways from somewhere deep below consciousness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Mind you, that doesn't mean it won't make us feel uncomfortable and discombobulated!)

      Delete
  17. Whether you trust your writing or not is not the point--keeping on writing, no matter what, is the point. (Somehow, I think I'm preaching to the choir.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Trust your writing ... lines like this "launching yourself, starfished,
    into what your muscles assure you is a form of flight" are pure gold.

    ReplyDelete