Sunday, September 20, 2020

I Heard Your Name


As the sun slumps into this weedy basket holding the just-purchased forest,

Beth, I heard your name.

Leaning into shoulder aches, I push this woodland book away from the waiter;

Beth, he said your name.

Moths myth smoke-black as we burn our world to sear our numb wings to our tensing backs;

Beth, they hiss your name.

All these aches, all these bird-filled brakes, myth-stained moths, our iron-on wings of singe and dross;

Beth, they called your name.

Beth, I called your name.

Beth, I heard your name.

Sharing today, somewhat tardily, with The Sunday MuseIt was odd--we've done so much straightening up lately that when I woke up, I was just grateful that it was sunny and cool, that there were scones and coffee for breakfast. After weeks of just seeing black linings around whatever image was placed before me, I just wanted to spend a few minutes of calm. There's that buzz that goes slightly dormant and you think--yep, just reached saturation. Did this last? Only as long as I refused to engage with anyone but the dogs. Seriously, she needs a dog. Maybe a three-headed one that likes chomping things and...limiting her interaction with others. Mine only has one head, but he has decided that if I bring a blanket, he'll adapt to the new writing space. He's a little elderly for chomping but he was heck on ponytails, back in the day. :) 

 

10 comments:

  1. "our iron-on wings of singe and dross" - fantastic. The "Beth" refrain is very cool - eerie and compelling, and moves from the shadows of the poem into the bright light at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the repetition, the call, the these aches and bird filled brakes. Magical, and as Qbit said, eerie. Perfect reflections for the stunning image. Hope you have a wonderful week ahead my friend. Stay dry and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to wake to sunny and cool, scones and coffee....things we take for granted until they are not there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, liked the errie repetition of the Beth lines. Scones and coffee, a dog and an orderly house sound like heaven to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, skillful and impressive work with meter, image and metaphor here--but beyond the technical grace of achievement, there is also that lift of the soul that only comes from good poetry. And the lyrical structure is also part of the package--love the weedy basket of forest, the woodland book, the myth-stained moths, and "iron-on wings of singe and dross;" Wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who is this Beth? I want a full background asap. She seems sketchy to me.

    Hi Merlin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your poems, they send me on flights of fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chrissa, I just love this!! You got my attention when the Scone and Coffee entered. The Dog clinched it. It seems so real, in a way I envy the writer's experience. Mrs. Jim tells folk that I am ready to go to assisted living. In a way I am, she'd come with me though a bit younger. It would be an escape from house, car, food preparation, etc. It may come in a few more days.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. If you look at your Houston area weather radar map, we are close to the middle of the spinner at Katy and it's pouring down rain. We shouldn't flood though. I hope you stray dry and have Kolache with your breakfast, I may go get some with my B3G3 coupon at the Kolache Factory, about a mile away.
      ..

      Delete
  9. This has some great images, and is a treat to read aloud (though I admit I get tripped up on the "Moths myth". Love the line with the iron on wings too.

    ReplyDelete