Sunday, September 13, 2020

FoxFeathers

 

You can have a different skin, if the fairy of the forest
Whose penthouse of vines in the squirrel-tower pines
Blooms in response to your offering.

You can build a cozy nest from the feathers and leaves
Subtle enough for rain to cast panes of silvered glass
If it please the generous birds and trees.

You can write a fairy tale in a black-stocking wood
If a family of foxes gather your ink and your quills
And you share your food.

As far as I know there aren't any foxes around here. There are bats...which I discovered last night worries me when I'm in the backyard but don't when I'm in the front yard. Apparently, my brain has decided that backyard = wilderness or something. Anyway. I'm still waiting for the arrival of large moths. As with hummingbirds, 2020 is making me obsessed with attracting certain kinds of wildlife to my yard via planting enough vines to create my own little hut. #backyardhut2021!! 

Lesson #1:  Don't blog while sleep deprived. Lesson #2: I really do want a backyard hut. Except that I have a feeling the bees would take it over. Lesson #3: See #1, as now you're sitting in your chair buzzing quietly to yourself and the dog is evaluating whether to go get someone. 

Hope your week is full of adequate sleep & those wordy things that go into, you know, poems. :)

-- Chrissa


12 comments:

  1. Luv the penthouse of vines 😊

    I had the experience of worrisome fruit bats some years back, and had to cut down my mango tree as a solution.
    Happy Sunday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled at the penthouse in the pines. I have been watching the squirrels gathering food to stash away in their penthouse in the pines. I have seen a fox driving at night on the side of the road. I think it's their eyes that you remember most. They have a haunting glow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, especially "you can write a fairy tale in a black stocking wood". I always wished for a writing hut in the backyard - go for it!!!!!!!! A She Shed. Smiles. (Love that the dog is evaluating whether to go get help. LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully written. Somehow I just couldn't bear to think that sweet-faced fox would harm a bird, so I'm all for fantasy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did Arthur approve this message?

    I love the picture of the space you have put together here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this bit of fantasy. I needed the escape it brought me. I've spent more time than ever before roaming my tiny back yard and looking out into the small woods behind me. It feeds my wild nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That last stanza is fairy dust on a poem of magic! Love this my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love this ... again, notes are as engaging as poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is nice, Chrissa. I like my skin, I live with my mother, so that leaves me a fairy tale book to write (I'd do memoirs except for a lack of readers) I'll bring this feather home for mother to put in my pillow.
    We don't have foxes either, we did when we lived north of Conroe (TX) by the lake. We have lots of rabbits and a few alligators as they are protected. They were here Katy way before the houses.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. "You can write a fairy tale in a black-stocking wood
    If a family of foxes gather your ink and your quills
    And you share your food." - Nice. I would like a family of foxes out gathering ink and quills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. qbit replied as I was going to, so ditto qbit!

    ReplyDelete