Saturday, June 6, 2020

The Vestibule Before the Door



Painting by Surrealist Artist Alexandra Dillon

I guess what they wanted was Bluebeard, the lurid and the louche
Where the omens were wicked and the whispers slithering;
Marriage like a scoop for the dirt of life swept up by silk.

They barely look at the vow--don't think I can't see what
I can't say.

And they want strength because they come to me ask for it,
For the courage to Not Open the Door, because he's here,
Already in the house, already telling them the kind of stories
About how power is beautiful and how they like to stand in the ocean
And let the waves hit them, right? Between the legs, right?
That's why there is only the hand, with the vow, and the eye here,
In this not-yet-forbidden vestibule.
Because I liked power, too, didn't I?
You can't say what sacred layers the vow will set its edge against.
You can't say what witness will be borne to how they twist them.

Will you stand there and tell my story? Of pirates and weddings . . .

But the ring was only mine from a line of blindness
And what I swore was that I would never look away;
If I could only wear the comfort, I'd be the honest one.
And I am. Sharp and aware and wedded to the long view,
Lies becoming stories, forgotten but smooth, and power?
It rolls madly over and leaves something shiny behind.
Could be blood. Could be diamonds. Could be you.

So...witness. Speech. Silence. Comfort. The edge of the cliff or the knife or the line. Or the edge of the storm. We're fortunate in that another early hurricane will be missing our city, although it will pass through other damaged cities and flood other previously drowned communities. There is only the exhaustion of catching one's breath, holding it, and then waiting for another wave to come. Sharing with The Sunday Muse and with Poets and Storytellers United and hoping that everyone finds a place to rest and catch their breath in the coming week. 

--  Chrissa

17 comments:

  1. Oh Chrissa this is stunning in every way! I love the trail of thoughts and questions that lead us to answers and deeper views of what is and will be. Every stanza gripping and thought provoking but that last line left me breathless! I will carry this poem in my thoughts all week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've lost count of the number of times I've read this .... deep, disturbing, daunting. And fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lies becoming stories, forgotten but smooth, and power? It rolls madly over and leaves something shiny behind." This is such a powerful poem, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last line wraps around the mind like the most ominous of shrouds; or, perhaps, it's a memory cloak... keeping us from forgetting what is and what could be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Chrissa, this is an amazing poem. I love "Don't think I can't see what I don't say." That line speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lies leave behind is not mystery but chaos

    Happy Sunday Chrissa, thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday today

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  7. The uncertainty may be the most unsettling thing about this poem.

    So glad to hear you will be doing some hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm hoping a lot will remove the blinders that tell the wrong story. We had a terrible choice and a better one, a lot had found out after the damage started.
    Congrats and thankfulness for you hosting here for the months' ends. Carrie works hard, so will you.
    I too am glad this storm is missing us, but those aren't at all good for the New Orleans area either. We had 33 inches of water in our home for Claudette in 1979. We moved to higher ground but were without power for a week for the last one here.
    Thanks again,
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Where the omens were wicked and the whispers slithering" … ooooh, I don't want to go there! Great word picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was instantly drawn in by the ominous tone here. I feel like there is a battle between reason and emotion... it almost feels to me like the speaker has issued this warning before, and previous listeners just rationalized the warnings away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How impressive this is Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "It rolls madly over and leaves something shiny behind.
    Could be blood. Could be diamonds. Could be you." -- fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is exquisite, and I could quote so many lines but in the end I'd be quoting the entirety. I love the roll and flow of it all, which conveys that power of the natural world, as well as the threats of the social one...I especially like the weaving in of a really ominous feel to the weddings and relationships, and of course, extra points for 'louche,' which seems to give its breathe to the whole poem. That second line keeps coming back to haunt me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Shay...The uncertainty gives me an uneasy feeling. Your second stanza is so powerful. The whole piece is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this amazed me from beginning to end. felt like a medieval piece written during that period. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Incredible, Chrissa! It gripped me, and gave me an eerie feeling.

    ReplyDelete