Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Pressure Wave

Today's prompt was "Flaming June" -- being inspired by the heat of summer or Frederic Leighton's painting (below).
Flaming June - Wikipedia


Bring the thick and sleepy air close to your throat
Tuck it beneath your head, the beginning of heat;
I will remind you when to wake by the darkness
Chilling your toes, the cloud-woven coolness.

What the heat singes bronze and melts golden,
Our dragon's breath dream of days pouring from
My furnace into fondant-solid calendar squares
Sweet on your tongue? This is the heat-shimmer.

Where the sky lays bare, blue nude to the sun
Find your own shade, your own shifting coverlet
Where the shadows are restless as you are
Dreaming of the streets drowning summer traffic.


Down where the blind goblins watch the world
Drink itself burning beneath the sea
I'm waiting for you to remember the summer
Flaming above and below.

And because we were also talking about anger and I've been thinking about the ways that I tend to feel like it's an inappropriate emotion to express (generally...there was a lot of girls-shouldn't-be-loud when I was growing up)...I've been daydreaming about my own rude, loud, and ridiculous garage band. :) Because who doesn't sometimes want to yell at strangers for hours on end? Totally healthy impulse.  

Angry Onion Eyes (both the lead single and my imaginary screamo band)

You must have been kept in a
ROOT CELLAR
Make your mind go blank and your
TONGUE SOUR

You must have been found in a
ROOT CELLAR
Dry layers concentrating on their
BITTER

You must have been raised in a
ROOT CELLAR
Make my eyes go acid and my cheeks
REDDER

Gonna leave you there in your
ROOT CELLAR
Shriveling down back into dark
MATTER

Miss you guys. And am hoping the weather stops throwing tantrums on Wednesdays. Perhaps it needs to join a band?

-- Chrissa




2 comments:

  1. I love this from beginning to last note at the end. The poem is imagery that brilliantly makes our senses feel all that is painted on the page. I can completely relate to your experiences with being expected not to be loud. I think that can be a driving force in being a writer and longing to be heard. I too hope the weather calms down for future meetings but your last line made me laugh! I love it! It's band could be called the thunder rollers! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! It is so beautifully written. Your second stanza really is striking. I was born a noisy child.

    ReplyDelete