Sunday, November 18, 2018

These Are the Plates

Here they are; washed, like every year.
These are the everyday and those are the holiday--
Washed by hand, careful of the rims...every year--
Ever since we bought this house and your grandmother
Came down that first time,
Boxes packed with china lining the backseat of the Cadillac.

We had a house and a family
And it was time for me to host the holidays.
The one where you were sick, the one time
It froze and your uncle almost broke his neck
Skidding across puddles out behind the fence
Before they cleared it and built the houses.

Your grandparents would come, sometimes
All of the them, sometimes the extended family,
Aunts and cousins...you remember.

We'd bring them down from the top of the cabinet
I'd catch you or your brother climbing up
To reach those shelves, clinging to the edges
of the shelves...there was that time you started
Screaming...just yelling...because of a dead roach
Stretched out like a grasshopper in a coffee cup.

Yesterday you told me that you'd had
A brush of fear, listening to your nephew
Talk about driving to work, the entire length
Of one side of Houston, all the hours on the roads...
Did you hear your brother's friend talking
Last night, one of his kids living in the same apartments
We did when we moved here.

I heard it in his voice, too.

Anyway, these are the dishes. We'll pack them up
And you can pretend you're driving that boat of a Cadillac--
Think about your grandmother and be careful--
And we'll see them again at Thanksgiving.
Wash them before you put them away.
And mind the rims.

Posting this to both The Sunday Muse and Poets United (for Poetry Pantry #429) in honor of family traditions and succeeding generations. :) Hope you have a wonderful week and, for those of you celebrating it this week, a very happy Thanksgiving.

-- Chrissa

14 comments:

  1. Wow! didn't think washing dishes could weave such a wonderful tale.
    Enjoyed this very much Chrissa

    Happy Sunday

    Muchđź–¤love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the passing on of family heirloom dishes is a big thing! My mom had turkey plates and platters she only used at Thanksgiving. My sister has them now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this....I recently looked at my 'good china' and said what am I waiting for....so I will be dusting them off and using them. I love heirlooms and the connections and memories they bring.

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This just takes my breath away. This is totally the kind of writing that goes straight to my heart … all the strands of 'family stuff' and how those nuances weave and waft through the days of our lives and - really - come to be a big part of what we were/are all about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your poem, Chrissa! I felt like I was there with you reminiscing about family and the dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dishes have such history! They are like a family member through the generations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful nostalgic writing Chrissa. I love how the narration was poignant and so real as I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a tale of relationships as fragile as precious china...!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I just love this! Takes me back to times past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this so much! I felt like I was right there with you ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely thoughts and memories shared in such a wonderful way. This is beautiful Chrissa!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this. My husband and I have started using our best china more often instead of leaving it in the cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was so touching, and real. I felt like I was musing along with you.

    ReplyDelete