Sunday, July 8, 2018

Magic Glass

I embarked for Oz from Texas, from couch or carpet in the once upon a time
In the days where the cars left no ruts on the highways, the motion its own track.
Restless, she whispers. Not rootless. Tethered, lifted with the heat
Pressed up from the asphalt, the heaviest of birds, my own ghost, drifting.
We have been so many places, she whispers.
Green glimmers from the edges of the window. I can hear the vinyl
As I slide across the seat, feel the windows sliding down as I press the lever,
Waiting for someone to come, to turn on the air, to twist the engine
Into the deep thrum that will carry us toward Port Arthur and deep into
Fairyland, where the Cokes are cold glass fish drawn from the horizontal fridge
In the shady salon, deep as a swimming pool.
We can drift again, she promises. I see her toes trailing in the bright dust,
Universes swirling miniature in the sunbeams. She drags a hand through
Light and particle, through dream and consciousness. I hear a door click
As she wavers, the edge of vacation flowing like slow glass until the daylight
Bends and we are treading
In the magic glass.

This is being cross-posted this week with both The Sunday Muse (Muse #12) and with Poets United (Poetry Pantry #410). I think I'm ready for fall...
Hope you have a good week & if you're working on NaNo, may you have many words come visit you. My brain has decided to distract me with cover possibilities (because what's the good of having the barest beginning of a draft if you can't daydream about covers?) but I'm still moving forward. 

-- Chrissa

13 comments:

  1. I'm thinking Alice and the looking glass. What a journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Restless is a symptom of wanderlust, and we know just how good that one is. So, thank goodness for roots... that stay with us regardless of how far into glass we are thrown.

    May the cover daydream be extra delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your imagery Chrissa. This is such a lovely and dreamy journey and I feel as if you have pulled me into the magic glass with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a wonderfully rich read, floating in such great imagery. Chrissa, would you please email me at wildwomantwo@ gmail.com ? I have a question for you. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chrissa, your deft usage of imagery is like sinking one's teeth, into a deep Black Forest Cake. As if, the reader is taking a surrealistic journey in Lewis Carroll's Alice In Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Kidding. this is more Alice than Dorothy. :)
    i like the imagery. vivid and dark. this is a world more dream than ruined highways. enjoyed the poem. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting and a wonderful read, for me.
    ZQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the imaginative flow of this poem and the imagery. I really carries me away!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a delightful trip into fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, a wonderful read. I love the imagery in this. I know the restless urge to see the world while roots call me home. I am from Houston and know the road to Port Arthur well. I have a music friend, Mike Zito, who lives in Nederland.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "In the days where the cars left no ruts on the highways, the motion its own track."

    we drift into a world as flowing as glass, as easy as water - to dream of more than dust, to swim "from a horizontal fridge" ... where magic is more than reality, where we search for roots and are tethered yet driven to wander

    this is really rich for images and deserves a cool soaking to thoroughly enjoy - how delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess you must mean the magical Oz. We Aussies like to call our own country Oz, and we have a Port Arthur too (in Tasmania) so for a minute or two I wondered.... Lovely poem either way.

    ReplyDelete