Sunday, June 23, 2019

Like a Rumor


Photo prompt courtesy of The Sunday Muse, Photo Artistry by Erik Johansson Master Photo-manipulation Artist

It came like a rumor, through the Gilley's backyard,
Drowned the Rasner's pool, and then it took our fence,
The azaleas. And then it washed through Sandy's house.
The realtor's letting the man leaning over the fence
Tell her what happened; why she should keep looking.
But she can imagine all the blues the house can now hold:
Tiles, wood, Sheetrock, sills, baseboards, doors, ceramic.
She knows how hungry the waves are;
Feels her own stomach growl.
It's been redone, they'll still insure it.
It's still a Good Neighborhood.
And if you stand in the middle of the living room
You can hear the sea calling all the creeks and rivers,
Telling them they used to be an ocean, a gulf;
They used to be clear and beautiful as salt.
She stands in the emptiness and listens.
Hears a cry of Land! But not yet.

Sharing, in the middle of a rainy Sunday afternoon, with The Sunday Muse and with Poets United, while waiting to see if the coals will be extinguished by this sloppy weather. It's a good day for staying in and reading. Hope this day finds you in a good place for reading, without the sloppiness. :)

19 comments:

  1. The second half of this poem--set up, of course, by the first half--just took me away and blew me away. No poetry pleases me more than the ordinary being used as a vehicle to approach the extraordinary or the meaningful. Land! indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you set this up in the beginning, with the sea coming in through the garden, and in the end I wonder what happens, maybe we are all more sea than that land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the creeks and rivers are all part of the sea - indeed they all flow to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "And if you stand in the middle of the living room
    You can hear the sea calling all the creeks and rivers,
    Telling them they used to be an ocean, a gulf;"

    OMG tge telling of this floid is fantastic. Happy Sunday. Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the feeling I got from the first sentence. "Came in like a rumor", just cemented the idea of a small dribble turning into a tsunami before you know it. I also love the idea of water retaining the memory of when it was part of the sea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the sea telling the creeks and rivers they used to be an ocean.....a wonderful write, Chrissa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, this is interesting. Hearing the sea calling from the middle of one's living room would be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I felt like I was there with her listening! Lovely write, Chrissa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this Chrissa and the mystery of what was and what will be. I love the hungry waves and the closing lines are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing the sea calling, and the ending is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Standing in the living room and hearing the sea all the creeks is my favorite part, as well as the backyard rumors spreading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's good to hear the sea reminding the creeks and rivers their sources.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monday WRites 211
    is live. I invite you to link in

    Much❤🕊❤love

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is incredibly gorgeous writing, Chrissa!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful write, Chrissa. Loved the descriptive way you said the sea has a memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The image of water holding memories … lovely and transcendent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the rumor description, nothing travels faster than that. Yes the water memory is so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Standing in the middle of the room remembering pure clean waterways ...the ways things were. Very sad outcome for this planet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can totally see her, turning ear and heart towards that call, waiting for the right note...

    ReplyDelete