Sunday, February 17, 2019

Future Gaze


You were a story that my mother told me
You were a story I dreamed above you
You are a story that we all will tell

We have written you into our history
We have written our history onto you
Myths are being born in you

They have begun speaking for you
In my voice, in my mother's,
Among all of us

Even if you are a new myth,
Come and learn this language
Bone by syllable

You were a story that my mother told me
You are the future that watches us
You are the child I told

Thanks to Carrie at The Sunday Muse for this week's image. Also sharing with Poets United for Poetry Pantry #440.  We've been approaching a few milestones in our extended family and I'm on a family story kick...seeing the above image makes me think of the ways we try to prepare for the familiar future, the one contained safely in all the stories we already know...the one that is constantly in tension with the story of tomorrow that we don't know. Hope everyone has an inspiring week and thanks for visiting!

-- Chrissa

19 comments:

  1. Chrissa, I think this is my favourite of your poems. I love the whole idea of family stories, repeated and handed down. This is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what Sherry just said. This is truly a beautiful poem that wonderful captures the photo, and is a new favorite for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful.. the future we have in a child. If we could leave something better it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful write, Chrissa. We do cherish our family stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The love and humanity shine through these telling words Chrissa

    Happy Sunday. Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much🌻love

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderfully rendered, mesmeric piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I carry that story inside me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come and learn this language
    Bone by syllable.... oh that is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stories are living things. And we are the blood that oxygenates their heart. They were. With our help, they continue to be... in different ways... as they birth the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the repetition in this poem, which emphasises that the owning of stories is so important. I especially love the lines:
    ‘Even if you are a new myth,
    Come and learn this language
    Bone by syllable’.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think of the family stories that circle around my family every time a bunch of us gather together and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a memorable poem this is, Chrissa! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. INVITATION:
    Monday WRites 193 is live at my blogVERSES

    Much🌻love

    ReplyDelete
  14. You were a story that my mother told me
    You are the future that watches us
    You are the child I told....

    And You are all of us, I suspect....

    ReplyDelete
  15. A poignant storytelling, a folklore or heritage....Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. “Come and learn this language /bone by syllable.” Beautiful poem, Chrissa. It speaks to the future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea and beautifully executed.

    The story hand down idea reminds me of Roots . . :)

    ReplyDelete