Saturday, November 21, 2020

Peaceful and Sheepish

 



Horses chasing hogs in the suburbs?
Open a window, let the feeds scroll. Then,
bring me the holidays that I used to know!
Peace in the absence of understanding, 
in the overheated heart of preparation.
Pile china and glassware upon the table
emptied by those hoofbeats a street or a yard over.
Put the sheep in the middle of it, 
still living.
Let it stand for what we had and are,
for what we believe and how we act,
for mercy and for confusion.
For metaphors
and stuffed animals.
I will take a mug of cocoa to the front yard,
stand barefoot in the green grass
without anticipating their arrival.

And here we are again, another weekend in the tapioca timespace of 2020. This upcoming Thursday is Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. and  we're going to be staying home, making potato salad (yea!!) and probably plotting out our first Christmas light trek of the year. There's a nebulous end-of-year feeling creeping in under the doors along with the fog, but it burns out by the middle of the day and you can feel, in the lingering heat and the unnamable anxiety, the year refusing to turn. The picture captures that so well--is it a joke? A metaphor? The beginning of a horror story or a comedy? It refuses to tell you. It's not going to spoil the twist. 

Participating in the weekly poetry and whatnot of  The Sunday Muse and Poets and Storytellers United.

-- Chrissa

17 comments:

  1. Don't be sheepish to use the fine china for your cocoa! At least the grass is still green and the snow hasn't started yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This speaks volumes and I love it! "Let is stand for what we had and are" These are crazy times indeed and your amazing words capture them eloquently! I do hope you have a good Thanksgiving and potato salad sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mercy and confusion.....such an eclectic mix and perfect for the STRANGE times we live in. Yikes. At my advanced age, I simply cannot BELIEVE what we are living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "bring me the holidays that I used to know!"
    This resonates with me so deeply

    HAPPY SUNDAY

    Much🖤love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will join you, cocoa is ready. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's about how crazy it feels. You are a master of imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "bring me the holidays that I used to know!" sounds like a spell shouted into the universe. Or, perhaps, it's just that the thought has been echoing in my head and heart. Strange days, these...

    Potato salad sounds yummy. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "peace in the absence of understanding." ~ I'll take that. And the china, oh, I certainly have been using mine for very ordinary dishes. Let's match the weirdness of 2020 with celebrations of the blessings that we still have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A friend of I were talking the other day about the idea of horror bleeding into mirth and vice versa, and how if feels so 2020. There really ought to be a word for that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great. "emptied by those hoofbeats a street or a yard over"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your words are so true in depicting the make-over of our traditions, the hope and the dyeing of hope for this year. Will the next be better. I do hope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been a crazy year filled with confusion. I wonder if we will ever experience what once was, it feels like we live in an altered state of reality.

    Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Thanksgiving Chrissa! We are looking forward to better times come Jan 20th, yes!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. On the grass with the cocoa sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even a crisis like Covid can be an opportunity to relax or do other things that we just didn't have the time to do before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The world is in a turvy...sit quietly and ponder...Take Care !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. “Bring me the holidays I used to know” - how often I have had that thought these last few weeks.

    ReplyDelete