Sunday, March 1, 2020

Lullabies to Conjure By


He wrote the night, flickering alive on the bones.
Daylight; window-smear, elbow, knuckle, pressure
Like the gas lamps fed by the curving brass pipes;
Sigh of gas, pressure, smear of light behind the glass

I keep my head clasped at the neck, my back alive
To the room, to the cooling lights behind me. They
Spin on those brass couplings, muslin skirts aflame,
Fairy wings arching until they choke, fade in the a/c.

Play, they whisper. Play the night--we need the shade
Nothing burns visible without the darkness, here.
Let the cool remind you--and their fingers glissando
My spine--we play our music when we fail to burn.

Keep playing, pause; smolder of wings; twine my fingers
With the lamplight until  they ache in shadow,
Pulse, and breath. Wait. Tickle the shadows stretching
Across the wood, where a smear of music stains.

Hoping this finds everyone safe this week. Linking with The Sunday Muse and Poets and Storytellers United.

--Chrissa

21 comments:

  1. I see fairies and moths dancing to the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sense an audience urging for music... maybe they all need it to flee from the daylight... there is something sinister in the way the faceless audience crave obedience from the player.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...where a smear of music stains." Fantastic close to a very powerful write. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, this must be what happens when you get a gig at The Hall of the Mountain King. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at "He wrote the night flickering alive on the bones" & " Nothing burns visible without the darkness" is brilliant in so many ways! In awe as always! 🤩 Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful yet edgy words, and I, too, loved that last line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has a "phantom of the opera" feel and I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely descriptive phrases draw us into fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mysterious audience's desire is unsettling. I hope player and listeners find some comfort in the creation of art in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your word use in the first line, how the "bones" are the music and the skeleton that feels the dance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, the fairy music, "we play our music when we fail to burn", the smolder of wings - enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely brilliant word smithing. I wish i had written this

    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday Chrissa

    (✿◠‿◠)
    much love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Descriptive, magical, and killer ending.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can feel the stress points in this poem, the audience seems to demand an encore...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do love a poem that draws me in and envelopes me like this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh this is absolutely splendid, Chrissa!💝

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Let the cool remind you--and their fingers glissando
    My spine--we play our music when we fail to burn."
    The inner rhymes and the meter are quite hypnotic, and I feel both the push and the pull of the music.

    ReplyDelete
  18. An enjoyable poem, especially as a response to that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome writing … the close: haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. To me this conjures up the shadows of things past come alive with music, the moon, an old building...

    ReplyDelete